Let the scaremongering begin.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on health stuff. Not so much because I have been actively seeking it out but it shows up on my Facebook news feed and I guess I'm in a place where I am open to reading about this kind of stuff. To be fair you don't need to show me articles on why sugar is bad for me. I'm a smart girl and I have already worked that out of my own accord. As one of the lucky few with candida, I have a more adverse reaction to sugar than your average girl so I could not be any more aware how bad it is for me. Just recently I took a tumble off the wagon and started nomming chocolate like it was going off tomorrrow and naturally I felt awful afterwards so after a week on this rampage I called it quits and three days later I am still feeling utterly strung out. All this morning I was starving and dizzy and kind of out of it and nothing seemed to help, em thanks sugar. I kind of feel like I need to be locked in a room to sweat it all out of me and hopefully emerge a new skinnier woman.

So you get where I am coming from. I could not be in a better place to read articles about why food I have given up or am trying to give up is bad for me. Nothing like arming myself with more information to validate the choices I have already made. I have, however, noticed a trend in many of the articles that seem to come my way. That is a certain degree of scaremongering in all of them. It is as though they feel the facts themselves wont stand out enough on their own so they are adding little touches to make it stand out more. Like in the piece I read last night listing the many uses for coca cola, as an attempt to demonstrate that coke really shouldn't be the beverage of choice, they managed to come up with almost 12 ways of saying coke can be used as quite an effective cleaner. Now I get it, a list of 20 uses has far more impact than a list of 10 but having it broken down like this adds a touch of condescension to it. As though we are not astute enough to notice the repetition. And then this morning I was reading an article that informed me I would not want to eat sugar again by the time I had finished it and it managed to confirm everything I already knew plus provided some clarification on certain points but there was also an awful lot of repetition within the piece. 

So yes , I get it. Sugar is bad and soft drinks are bad and according to some other stuff I've read dairy isn't all that amazing for you either. It's all interesting stuff and it's all worth knowing but it would be nice if the case against these foods could be put together in a less biased fashion so we could just make up our minds about what we put in our bodies and also for the record, that article was wrong. I am still feeling sick in the mother of all sugar comedowns but It is taking an awful lot of restraint even now to not nom all the chocolate.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..