confessions of a recovering chocaholic

Anyone who has read even two random blog posts of mine is probably well aware of my dilemma. The well established fact that sugar is not my friend and the also well known reality that I continue to return to it like some shitty ex boyfriend I can't quite let go of.
The current situation is that I'm off sugar almost a week now and I'm doing okay, I haven't eaten a sneaky bit so far. I did have a dream last night where I accidentally ate some (as you do) and I did feel bad upon waking but I don't believe that really counts. For the most part I am doing okay but that is probably because I chose to forget that coconut sugar is still sugar and was baking away to my hearts content until I was forced to acknowledge the undeniable truth that I was both putting up weight and feeling sick from the coconut sugar. The main thing is that I get myself to the two week mark without breaking and I'll be back on the straight and narrow and can work on not eating all the food all the time.

Until then, every day is hard work as the sugar cravings lurk around every corner and this morning I woke up after a crappy nights sleep craving it. So this was my solution. I wont go so far as to say I made up this recipe because the truth is I didn't. The recipe already existed and I more or less repurposed it to make a desert I could eat because I'm smart like that. I don't even have a name for it. Let's call it chocolatey surprise. The surprise being that it's not actually chocolate. It's sort like a cross between the recipe for the chocolate and almond sweets and the icing I use for my buns but it makes a fine desert if you're battling a chocolate craving.

Ingredients 
Rice syrup
Coconut oil
salt
almond butter
green and blacks cocoa powder/ or raw cacao

I melted 5 tablespoons of coconut oil first.Then added cocoa powder and mixed thoroughly (You can use more or less depending on how much of this desert you want to make but make sure that however much coconut oil you add, you add the same amount of tbl of cocoa powder.)
Add rice syrup until it tastes slightly sweet. Rice syrup is a lot less sweet than maple or agave so you will need a lot more of it and then add a pinch of salt.
Pour a thin layer of cocoa mix into a small bowl, something similar to the one above if you have one and place in the freezer for 5 mins, Remove and cover with a layer of almond butter. Then pour remainder of cocoa mix on top and leave in fridge or freezer until set.

If you like you you can not layer the mix and just mix almond butter through when its all liquid. You could also add chopped nuts to the mix. I think I'll be trying that next time. It tastes quite similar to dark chocolate and its helped one chocaholic get her fix for now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..