The definition of bitch

Bitch is a word used as an insult or taunt. It's something you mutter under your breath after talking to someone you actively dislike. Just so were clear it's not considered to be a good thing. Then recently someone told me that there's a self help book that has a slightly different definition. It's called why men love bitches (just draws you right in, doesn't it). I haven't ever read more than the title because I thought that pretty much says it all and assumed it was aimed at the sort of women who like their men to seek permission before spending time with friends and use sexual favours as a way of getting what they want ( a handbag and whatnot). So yea, I didn't think it applied to me because I'm not big on manipulation. However, I was told recently that the author actually defines Bitches as strong women who stand up for themselves. So that's a bitch now ,is it ? Okay so I'm aware that there's no shortage of men who happily refer to strong, outspoken women as bitches but I found it beyond insulting that woman who wrote the book went with this definition.

I suppose these days I could be defined as a strong woman who stands up for myself but I won't stand back allow someone to call me a bitch for that and I sure as hell wont be taking the advice of a woman who uses such a derogatory term for her own gender. There's a possibility that her advice has some actual value but seeing as I am unlikely to ever pick up her catchily named book then It's unlikely that this will ever be anything more than supposition on my part. 

I think in general women are too quick to put other women down. Pretty much every woman is guilty of it even if some manage to keep some of the meanness in their heads instead of sharing it. Much as I hate the culture of bitchiness, I know I too have been guilty of it on more than one occasion. I once read a study that said the words you use to describe others reflect on you so if you are constantly complaining that this person or that person is a bitch for example then those around you are likely to see you as displaying those characteristics. It is supposed to be an argument for being more positive in how you talk about those around you. It does have a certain ring of truth to it and I will admit that I am wary of the women who constantly bitch about everyone around them because it gives them a certain ring of untrustworthiness  and perhaps I see some of characteristics in them that they belittle others for. The trouble is it's easier said than done so I do try and keep some of it in my head and out of my mouth and more importantly my blog ( because I can't take it back once it enters the world wide web)

I read about a tumblr feed this woman had started up recently where she had combined the sort of photos she used to like to post on her tumblr and coupled them with some of the feedback she received. She's slim and fairly pretty with a few tattoos and predilection for selfies (but we wont hold that against her). She had a theory that selfies are about empowering women and it's part of the new wave of feminism. I don't know about that but I do feel if she wants to fill a tumblr account with selfies then she should be free to do so. It's not like she's harming anyone. Here's the link if you want to take a look http://bzfd.it/1eAIk23. Some of the comments she received were so nasty she stopped using her account for a while but then she got the idea of screen-capping some of the worst comments onto the photos and making it into a project of sorts and it went viral.
I think the whole thing says a lot about what anonymity does on the internet. It equips people with the power to say the sort of the things they are unlikely to say to someone face to face. Most of the comments were made by women and they are almost all pretty nasty. I honestly can't see what about this woman provokes such viciousness. It seems that not having to be named meant people could make the sort of cutting remarks they do about celebrities and it as though they have forgotten that there's a real person reading those remarks and being hurt as a result.

Well now I've gotten that off my chest I can go to work. Yay. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..