(almost) Everything must go

Lately my apartment has been a mess, not likely to feature in how clean is your house or anything but still a mess. It's a lot of different things that have it that way. I'm too tired or too busy and except for in the evenings after work, I Don't spend too much time here so I guess that gives me limited time to contemplate the shoe mountain inside my wardrobe. 
I have been doing the sort of secret tidying (particularly in my bedroom) where it all looks fairly good provided you have the good sense to not open that one press.

So I've been promising myself I'll sort it really soon but the time never seems to come up and its been niggling away at me like an itch I can't seem to scratch. And then came my sort of long weekend. Usually I get one three day weekend every five weeks or so in work but this time around I found myself off Friday and Saturday, in Sunday and off again on Monday. It worked out for me except for sitting in work Sunday with a very sore head which was less than pleasant but it did mean that I was off today with no excuse (bar extreme tiredness) to keep me from operation clear out. 

I am pleased to announce it was a success and for the rest of the week at least my apartment will look lovely and shiny until chaos begins to creep in. I found it hard to get started this morning because my head was all foggy in stage two of the hangover but once I could put it off no longer I headed to my room with handful of black bags vowing to not come out until I had filled a few. I will admit that I cleaned my room the same way I clean the children's section in work, by starting in one corner and tidying my way around the room in a circle. Yes, I really am that anal about it but let's face it, it could be weeks before I get a whole day off at home to do this again.

By the time I was halfway through my room looked like a tornado had been through it and all I wanted to do was push everything off the bed and have a nice long nap but I kept going and had filled two black bags with unwanted clothes and assorted rubbish by the end of it. I seem to have a great amount of difficulty parting with clothes I'm no longer wearing, so much so that my wardrobe had a whole upper shelf full of clothes that I was just putting to one side that have remained there untouched for several months now but today I was feeling a bit more ruthless so that all went plus a bit more. It's amazing, I can now find things in my room and the clothes all lie orderly in their drawers. I am half tempted to give people guided tours so they can oooh and ah over the orderliness which will last until I am hurriedly searching for that one top in a drawer and it leads me to pulling everything out and messily shoving it all back in while promising myself I'll fix it later.

I was so buoyed by my success in tidying my room that I tackled the rest of the apartment and this was considerably easier given that most of my clutter resides in my room but now the place has a nicer calmer feel that makes me wonder why I don't do it more often. I'd resolve to keep it like this but I do have a habit of abandoning the best of resolutions so instead I'm going to savour this feeling and probably do it all again in a few months time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..