Having the time of my life- adventures at cult classics cinema

In case you haven't heard, there's a little event being run in Waterford called cult classics cinema. Essentially old movies are been shown every two weeks in the Theatre Royal but the movie is decided by public vote. It's not all th\iat complicated but it is a lot of fun. At this stage I'd kind of consider myself a veteran as I have been to all but one film. I missed the rocky horror picture show but saw Jaws, pulp fiction and Labyrinth.

To the delight of some people (women) and the disgust of others ( the men) the winner for this weeks movie was the cheesiest of cheesy films and dancing classic, dirty dancing. Now I can't count on one hand the amount of times I've seen dirty dancing but I think the exact number is a lot. I think there's a lot of other women who can say the same thing. I have never actually seen it on the big screen though. I have gone to the cinema to see quite a lot of really bad movies with really good dancing but I wont name them here for fear of it damaging my credibility. There is something quite different about seeing an older movie in the cinema because it brings an appreciation for it that you can never quite have while watching it at home on tv.

Now having been to cult classics before, I already know the drill because Dennis (the guy organizing the whole shindig) likes to make it a bit interactive.I guess it's so we know we're not at the omniplex down the road or any other bog standard cinema and that's cool and it's all good fun. Tonight, however, was a totally different experience. There was a vibe to the crowd that you couldn't manufacture if you wanted to and I mean this in the best possible way. So I'm sitting in the Theatre in a room full of women, I can't say exactly how many because I am rubbish at estimating. I'm going to say it was more than seven, possibly more than 100. The point is that there were a lot of women spanning a wide range of ages and they all had one thing in common, they wanted to see dirty dancing and they already knew all of their favourite and least favourite parts off by heart.

For me I cringe when she announces she carried a watermelon, dances awkwardly at the hotel show and the bit in the car where she tells Johnny he's wild. But I love the scene in the dance studio where Baby is affectionately mocking the way Johnny taught her to dance, when she practices dancing on the steps and of course the piece to resistance, the end dance where she shows them all what she's made of. I already knew these were the parts I most enjoyed because I've certainly seen the film enough to know but what I didn't know is what it's like to share that experience with a room full of women that seem to feel the exact same way.

There were boos at douchey guy (Robbie) and laughs at the awkward moments and of course cheers almost everytime Johnny appeared on screen or took off some clothes. People were clapping and swaying to the dance numbers and even singing a long a little bit. I can say without question that this is the most fun I have ever had watching a movie. 
I think we all walked out laughing or smiling and probably wondering where we could get dance lessons and a waist like Jennifer Grey's. Definitely the best €9 I've ever spent. 
Now if I could only convince them to show the lesser known dirty dancing 2 then I'd be in my element altogether but I guess I'll just have to settle for watching that one at home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..