Date night

Last night myself and Stephen had a date night. We have not gotten so jaded this early in to our relationship that a date night is mandatory to ensure that we ever go anywhere. We really wanted to see the Waterford youth arts production of the Crucible so I suggested we go out for dinner first to make a night of it.
I think I can accept at this point in my life that I will never become one of those people who eats all of her main meals in restaurants because I will always prefer my own cooking. That's probably for the best as right now I could not possibly afford that sort of lifestyle.

I booked us a table in the Olive tree, a new tapas restaurant because Stephen has been wanting to eat there since it opened and I had seen I could eat a few things on their menu so I was willing to give it a shot plus it wasn't going to work out too pricey for me so it was a win all round. And I went all out for our date night, buying a new dress in Tkmaxx ( as if I need an excuse to buy one) and I got up earlier to make myself lovely before work because we were going straight from work. We got there at 6, just in time to watch the restaurant filling up and soon after we sat down our Spanish waiter came over to tell us the specials but I didn't understand what most of them are due to his strong Spanish accent so I just smiled at him in a way that I hoped suggested the opposite. I ordered a spinach and rockett salad and potato omelette, Stephen got monkfish goujons and some sort of potato and chorrizo dish. Plus some wine which goes without saying in a Spanish restaurant. I stuck to my water because I had only days ago fallen off the sugar wagon which is kind of the story of my life and I had gone a bit over board in work so was feeling a bit headachey and was worried that wine would not help matters.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Olive Tree and I've been wanting to go for a while. Stephen tells me his food was absolutely delicious but I was not as excited about mine. I have a very strong feeling this was a lot less to do with the restaurants cooking and much more to do with my own fussiness. The potato omelette was nice but there was a lot of it and it didn't really taste of much, they did serve it with a sauce but it was all chivey so I ate without. No doubt that's why I found it to be a little bland. The salad was alright, I am not the biggest fan of having salads out because I don't really like salad dressing and this one tasted very oniony plus there was many a sliver of red onion in it which I did my best to avoid.
After we had dinner Stephen decided to get churros and our waiter obviously thought he was very mean because he brought me a fork too even though I tried to explain to him that I couldn't actually eat them.
Watching someone eat churros is about as fun as you'd imagine. It's as well I couldn't eat them because I'd have probably wanted more than one serving if I could. After our meal I was nicely full and it only cost me €9 which is all kinds of good. Naturally Stephen's came to bit more. I think when we go there again, I will have to be a bit more adventurous with my choices.

After that it was time to head to Garter Lane arts centre for the Crucible with a quick pit stop at centra so I could get a bag of riesen. Nothing says a classy night at the theatre like chewy chocolate toffee. I was vaguely aware of the overall storyline of the play. Well I knew it was set in Salem during the height of the witch trials but that was about it. Soon after it started I regretted my sugar binge as I was already feeling tired and a bit ugh. Otherwise it was a great play. All of the cast were young adults but they did a fantastic job and I found myself getting really into the story and getting particularly irritated with one of the main protagonists in the play. After a while I found myself forgetting that were all a good 10 years younger than me except for one character who was supposed to be an old man  and every time someone referenced that fact, I found myself giggling a bit. All in all it made for a great night out. If it wasn't for the riesen I was munching throughout the show, I'd even consider myself a bit cultured afterwards. Now it's back to pyjamas and tv shows for another few days. And maybe trying to wean myself back off the sugar which should be about as much fun as it sounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..