Technically you can always workout at home

As a reasonably smart woman who has been doing Crossfit now for over three years I know a ridiculous amount of  exercises that you can do using just body weight plus I have two kettlebells in my apartment, a yoga mat and a great park across the road. Really there's no reason I should not be ridiculously and hilariously fit. If you've ever seen me in person then you know this is not the case while I am not really unfit, I am certainly a lot less fit than I could be. 

I have the space to workout and the equipment and the time so really the only problem is me. I cannot and will not get myself to do anything at all. In fact if I did not belong to a Crossfit gym. I'd probably be in a very sorry state indeed. I occasionally join in a Facebook legs or abs challenge but there's no one monitoring my progress or checking that I'm doing it at all so after a few days something will crop up that means I've missed it and suddenly I've quietly dropped out of said challenge and hopes no one asks me later how I got on.

I often seem to go almost a week between crossfit sessions and I hate when I get stuck in sedentary mode but it's too easy to fall in to that trap and while I often get annoyed that I am not doing anything more active, it is rare that this will push me into making any changes.
I even tell myself I will start running because you could fall out of my apartment window and hit the park but the run never materialises (particularly because I hate running) and I quickly forget the whispered promise I made myself.

There seems to be only exception to this rule of lazy Laura and that is that if I can get my sister (and Crossfit trainer) to send me on a workout then I will do it regardless of how punishing it may be. Weirdly if I was to set myself a workout of 1 push up and 1 burpee, I probably wouldn't make it out of bed to do it but she tells me my workout is to do 100 and I will do them all. Sure I'll stop and moan and begrudge but the workout will get done and even if I don't feel good doing it then I'll certainly feel better after it. 

Tonight I did my first at home workout in I don't know how long. Naturally I didn't come up with it myself and I can't say I got into it particularly enthusiastically but I did it. Even with it being sent to me, it's still so much harder to do a workout by myself at home. Not quite as hard as the time I was on a 10 day 100 burpee per day challenge and my boyfriend was over lying on my couch reading things on his phone while I attempted to get them done. I ended up sending him to another room as it was too distracting. There are too many distractions, no one is working out with you, it's too easy to stop when it gets too hard. Because let's face it, if you do stop you're only cheating yourself. 

I think this is the point that I realised that going to a crossfit gym has spoiled me (not that I ever worked at home before crossfit) because I've become accustomed to just turning up at a class and being told what to do and when I get tired or unwilling then there's usually someone shouting at you to keep going or at least you see all of the other people struggling on and that pushes you. So I know you could always workout at home but lets face it. You probably wont.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..