The day I bought a giant pig

This is my giant pig. Her name is Pigmella and she's going to make me rich because she's actually a giant moneybank and when I eventually empty her, I will have all of the money or at least that's the grand plan. In this photo I am holding her up to recreate that moment from the Lion king for Stephen.

Let me tell you a bit more about my Sunday. As many of you know, I am not always off on Sunday. I work either Friday or Sunday on any given week. As its one of my few days off ( the only one ) that I spend with Stephen, rather than being in Clonmel trying to do all of the crossfit, I like to do something special with it when I can. You know not just sitting at home watching shows and being  glad I am not in work. We decided another road trip to Cork was in order as our last one had been quite successful. Stephen was keen to visit Triskell arts centre again as they had recently done the place up and I was keen to hit up Milanos for some of their delicious gluten free pizza. I even sang my pizza song. So the plan was to arrive around lunch time, look in a few shops, have lunch and then go see a movie at the arts centre. I do like a good plan. 

We got down before 1 and picked up movie snacks in Marks and Spencers and the health food store before heading to Tk Maxx for a browse. I wasn't really looking for much in particular mostly perusing the homewares and toiletries sections but when I didn't find anything there that took my fancy I went over to the toy part to see if they had any jewellry sets as my nieces have gone mad for them. That was when I spotted Pigmella in the nursery section of all places. Now I'll have you know that I did not buy a giant money bank pig on a whim. This was a calculated decision. The Honey pot in Clonmel has brighter coloured ones for €32, I know because I've been in to look at them twice but much as I really wanted one, I couldn't justify spending that on a piggy bank. The one in Tkmaxx was only €16.99 so it would  have been a shame to leave it there. She's already at home on my dresser minding all my unwanted change. 

After my moment of glory in Tk maxx we headed to Milanos for Pizza time and Stephen insisted I do the lion king scene with Pigmella, hence the blog photo, while we waited for our pizza. I can't abide cold pizza so I half inhaled my margherita with spinach and peppers when it arrived but it was so delicious so while I can't say I had time to savour every mouthful, I did still enjoy it. With time to kill before our movie we met a friend of mine, who happened to be having a day out in Cork, for tea and managed to avoid all of the many rain showers, somehow. 

The supposed whole reason for the trip was supposed to be so we could go see Boyhood (the movie) in Triskell arts centre. The actual reason was so I could eat all of the pizza. Now based on what I'd been told about the movie. how it was filmed over 12 years so that it was the same cast actually aging onscreen and how nothing was really going to happen but it would all be in the dialogue, didn't exactly excite me but I figured hey I was getting pizza plus it didn't cost much, I got to watch it in a church (converted church) and  plus I had snacks so I was sure it would all be fine even if I was a bit bored. The reality of it was I actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. The way that it was filmed meant that I grew quite attached to the cast and felt invested in their lives and really really enjoyed the minutae of the film, the precision and attention to detail.

Also worth mentioning that Triskell arts centre is a pretty cool setting. Not just because its set in an old church which is deadly, even more so now that they have put big cushions on the seats so my ass didn't go numb watching the movie this time around (always a bonus) but having arrived early and not wanting to wait outside we checked out their cafe and managed to get minty Pukka tea (anywhere that serves pukka teas is winning by my standards) a giant chocolatey nutty cookie (which I'm told was every bit as amazing as it looked) for Stephen. 

All in all I'd consider it a great day out, not bad for a Sunday and at least when I'm trudging into work in the morning, I'll know my day off wasn't wasted. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..