Laura needs somewhere to live

( This is not a potential place for me to live as it's a castle and not for rent)

So two weeks ago today I moved out of the apartment I had shared with my boyfriend(now ex) for over a year. It was a sad day but as I moved all my stuff into my parents house I knew this would be a temporary move and soon I would be living 'the life' in Kilkenny city. That's not to say I wasn't grateful to have somewhere to go at that sad time. As temporary as living in my parents house has felt, I would have hated to be dealing with the horrible first days of breaking up and adjusting to living somewhere new in Kilkenny or looking desperately for somewhere to move into. Despite the fact that I need to go outside to make calls and I can only get internet in one corner of the sun room, I have been very glad to be here the last two weeks. My parents have been away the entire time since I moved in which in a weird way helped too. It has been pretty lonely here at times but at least I could stuff my face with chocolate, cry my eyes out and watch rubbish tv in my pyjamas without judgement. 

While licking my wounds and generally just getting used to being by myself I have been looking for somewhere to live in Kilkenny. I have wanted to move to Kilkenny for quite some time now and I had thought the only thing holding me back was a boyfriend who refused to move there with me. Now that we are no longer a couple I have discovered another obstacle to my move. There is almost nowhere to rent in Kilkenny. Now I knew we were overpaying for our city centre apartment in Waterford but I guess I didn't realise it was as bad everywhere else until I started to look online. Ideally what I really wanted was a place of my own. I will admit I find sharing my space with others difficult even when in a couple. I missed having time and space to myself and I even missed having my own room. The trouble is the vast majority of places to rent in Kilkenny are way too big for one woman and that wouldn't be that much of an issue if it didn't also mean they are way too expensive for my budget no matter what way I stretch it.

Then I started looking at house shares. Some houses are too big. The thought of sharing my space with three other strangers fills me with panic. I would never have the sitting room to myself. I'd have to queue for the cooker. Then there's the owner occupied places. I don't think I could ever really feel at home living in a space my housemate owned. I'd always feel it was their home and not mine. Some places only wanted male tenants or younger tenants and by the time you rule out all of those things pickings were slimmer than slim. So I started contacting house shares in places I could plausibly live and without exception the room was gone by the time I made contact or my message was met with silence.

Now I know I am writing this blog post from a very comfortable couch and not in fact a cardboard box outside McDonalds so this is clearly not a crisis but it's not ideal either. My parents return this weekend and I think once they are back this will be a different experience. Plus I don't want to overstay my welcome. 

Yesterday a one bed property went up online and it looked big and bright, close to Kilkenny and within my budget which is clearly a miracle. I was so excited about the possibility that I contacted the landlord straight away even though I was really sick and had to stand in the garden to make the call. Tonight I even drove to Kilkenny just to view the place. It was an over 2 hour round-trip for a 10 minute viewing but given that it was the first viewing I had managed to arrange within two weeks of looking I felt I shouldn't pass up the opportunity.

The place was even nicer than the photos. In the countryside yet close to work. Bigger than the photos suggested and loads and loads of room. The landlord and his family live on the property in a house next door but not so close they would be on top of you. I think it could be exactly what I need while I adjust to being by myself after almost four years with someone. The viewing must have gone reasonably well because I got a call tonight asking for my references and all going well I might get the call I am waiting for tomorrow telling me the place is mine and if not then I guess the hunt goes on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..