How to take yourself on a date

One of the hardest things about coming out of a long term relationship is working out what to do with yourself in their absence. Before my weekends would revolve around my boyfriend and if he was off we would make a big effort to go somewhere together. So I found myself with a long weekend looming ahead of me and no plans to speak of. I will admit I woke feeling sad friday morning and the temptation was there to stay in bed and have a one woman pity party. In fear of turning into an actual hermit post break up, I fought this urge and went and made some plans for myself.

So in order to cheer myself up I took myself to Kilkenny for the day. It was initially supposed to be a house scouting mission but that got somewhat abandoned when i realised im not going to be able to afford my own place at current rental prices and really I can look into my house sharing options from the comfort of my phone. Suddenly my day had morphed into a 'treat yo self day/ date with myself and it turned out to be exactly what I needed.

I started my date with lunch in Mugshot, it was lovely and relaxing. I am excellent company if I do say so myself. I followed this up by a trip to Khans for discount books and then to Dubray books for the book I really wanted. Browsing book stores is actually much more relaxing when you don't feel an extremely bored man hovering impatiently behind you. I then moved on to buy myself some noms in The Little Greengrocer and The Gourmet Store, I have been coming to Kilkenny frequently enough that I know where to source the most delicious food. I finished off my walk around the city by treating myself to a Murphys icecream special which was as expensive as it was delicious but I wanted nothing but the very best for my date (Me !) 

I then drove myself up to McDonagh Junction where I treated myself to a coffee before perusing TkMaxx and H&M and coming away with some new items of clothing and a beautiful candle and an understanding of why it is called retail therapy. Without spending too much money I had managed to make myself feel infinitely better than I did that morning.

I could have went home at that point happy and just chilled out for the night but I had an invite to hang out with my sister and family in her garden (see picture above) and feeling like it might be just what I needed I accepted. We had a really lovely night sitting around the fire playing music from our childhood and just talking late in to the night and that is how you take yourself on a date in case anyone was wondering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..