The joys of country living

I have now lived in the city for a long time and while I know ill be living in a city again soon , for now my living situation feels like a stark contrast. The thing is the last few years I have not just been living in Waterford city but living right in the heart of the city. When I worked in the book store I didn't have to drive to work. Obviously since I started working in Kilkenny walking to work was no longer an option. I was saved the trouble of paying for parking in town. The shops and restaurants and bars were only a few steps away from my door. The broadband was high speed and pretty much a given within city limits. These were all good things and some of them I will miss to a degree but not everything about city living was amazing. For starters living in The Glen I had to have a parking permit but while this offered me free parking for my car it did not guarantee me a space anywhere close to my apartment especially on bingo nights and it was even worse during any of the many festivals that Waterford is home to. Then there are the many miscreatants that gather on Ballybricken green. A lovely bit of green space visible from my window ruined by the many alcoholics that would gather there early in the day to drink and it was best to avoid eye contact with them later unless you wished to join a fight. And then there was the noise; the sirens , car alarms, street fights and drunken revellers. None of them will be missed in a hurry. 

Since I moved back Clonmel, I have become aware of the quiet at my parents house, particularly at night and I like it. I have been sleeping more peacefully and without my sleep mask. Plus I had missed having a bit of green space, a garden even if it is only on loan to me for a short time.  Sure the internet and phone reception are pretty sketchy but now that I have found that one area in the house where I can get online its not the worst thing in the world and at least it encourages me to put my phone away going to bed. The shops aren't as close but I wont end up stuck as I can go anywhere in my car. At least this might persuade me to eat less chocolate when it takes more effort to get it in the first place. The drive to work is a bit longer but I'm managing that okay. I dont think it will do me any harm to slow things down for a while. 

Hopefully when the house search picks up I will soon have somewhere in Kilkenny but it will be on an estate or on the outskirts somewhere so all going well I will have the best of both worlds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..