Here comes the hotstepper

I have always been impatient to get my hands on new gadgets but usually im fairly sensible with my money so I don't go around buying them all the time. When my phone was due an upgrade I wanted the new model immediately and I even contemplated paying silly money to make that happen but common sense prevailed and I got my shiny new phone that little bit later through my contract. I had a similar moment when I moved back in with my parents. I was so desperate to get online that I contemplated spending  €80 on a mobile dongle but the madness passed and I found a corner of their sunroom where I could get online and all was good with the world.

The latest whim to overtake me was the desire to own a fitbit. Fitbits have been around for a good while and I have wanted to own one but not been able to justify the cost for quite some time. I have been gradually getting fitter and also using an app on my phone to track my steps but it's not the most accurate as I don't have my phone on me 24/7. I was noticing as I became more active my desire to own one grew, several of my colleagues had bought them but what tipped me over the edge is when a blogger I follow had a big thing on her snapchat story about being at a fitbit event and getting loads of fitbit goodies and I was nearly sick with jealousy. I immediately went online and began researching fitbits so I would know what model I wanted and what price to expect. Naturally the cheapest prices of all are online but buying online involved waiting and I wanted one yesterday. This is probably the point where I should have sat down and had a chat with myself about considering spending €140 on a glorified watch. Except I didn't. I acted quickly and bought it before I had a chance to cop on to myself. 

So far I am finding it great. I am a nerd at heart so the way I can see stats around my activity levels, calories burned, steps taken and flights of stairs I have climbed. I especially like how it congratulates me when I have hit my daily target. I have always been a sucker for praise even from a tiny machine. I have definitely gotten more active since buying it. It seems to be pushing me to do more. I have been on more walks just to walk since I moved to Kilkenny (and bought a fitbit) than I ever did before. So not altogether my worst ever purchase but that still doesn't mean I actually needed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..