The art of sitting still

Ever since I moved to Kilkenny I have noticed that I have a bit of a problem. Admittedly there are worse concerns than mine and this is hardly likely to spark major concern among my friends and family. The problem is this. I seem to have forgotten how to sit still , to do nothing, to relax. 

I'm not sure why this is. I have a mountain of books dying to be read, half decent internet and a bed so comfy it begs to be napped on but I  just can't seem to stop going long enough to do any of these things.

I will say my new fitbit isn't exactly helping the cause. I'm enjoying watching it record my levels of activity and it prompts me to take more steps than I ever did before. 

In work I am constantly moving and once home Im usually too exhausted to do much of anything. I'm falling asleep before I have really had the chance to unwind. 

Then my days off come around and you must be thinking surely I will have a lie in, snuggle beneath the covers and read my book but no, I drag myself from the bed and into gym clothes and go train before I can contemplate a different kind of morning. Sometimes I run into town before coming home to eat and shower and rush out the door again to run errands or walk or meet friends for coffee until I no longer can avoid going home.

I'm not sure what really keeps me away. Is it the silence that echoes through my new home. The feeling of aloneness that follows me there. I used to covet my own space and I am sure that soon I will again. It will just take time for me to settle in Kilkenny and find my feet and then I'll be cosied up and relaxing like the best of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..