The perils of online dating

Even as I type this I know there will a few people who are judging the socks off me for looking for dates in the online arena and the vast majority of them will be smugly dating/married to someone already so them I say shame on you but also read on because you're bound to find parts of this entertaining.

I have been single for about two months now which is mad because in some ways I feel as though I have been single forever but it feels very new and fresh at the same time. I had dipped my toe into online dating at other stages of my life with mixed results and a few weeks after my break up I decided it would be worth another shot. It was probably way too soon for me to even be looking but I wanted something to take the sting of out of the break up. I knew even then that I had walked out of a relationship I wouldn't be going back to so I wanted to prepare myself for the reality of dating someone else and also work out how to flirt again as I was seriously out of practice .It is worth keeping in mind that as an introvert with a fairly inactive social life  ( right now anyway) that it was going to be difficult for me to meet someone organically.

So down the rabbit hole I went and then then fun began. I did have the opportunity to talk with some genuinely nice men but I also got messages from some less delightful people. There was the married man Id worked with a few years ago  ( still married) who was mad to hook up; the guy who wanted a three some but he was willing to do the organising  ( sound! Because you just can't expect a woman to do everything), the hurler  ( possibly well known but I wouldn't be the woman to ask) who was very keen to have me watch him get himself off,  the legions of men who want nothing more than to share a photo of their penis with you, the many anonymous men  ( possibly also married!) Who want to know if you'd like to have some fun but never actually ask you what you like to do for fun and then there's the guys who send multiple messages despite never getting a response and then get angry because it doesn't occur to them that you might not be interested or that you're being inundated with similar messages and you can't possibly reply to them all even if you actually wanted to.

And people wonder why women are so wary especially on the internet. I dont they realise how much shit we wade through in the hopes of genuinely connecting with someone. I'm not in a mad rush to get involved with someone again. I'm still rediscovering me but I suppose I'm leaving myself open to the possibility in case someone comes along. I have been on three dates and none of them have murdered me which is always great when you meet someone from the internet. I'm still looking but mostly in a part time fashion because I'm starting a new job tomorrow and I'm very busy at the gym getting stronger and more awesome all the time. At least I will always have interesting stories to tell my friends because it seems my life is never boring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..