Fake it until you make it

So after four years in college and several more years of doing other jobs, I have finally landed my first social care job. For anyone confused because they thought I was already working as a social care worker then allow me a moment to clarify. I have been working as a health care assistant over two years now and then last March I was successful at making my way on to the social care panel ( in the residential facility in which I work). Being on a panel means you will be offered this coveted position at some point in time but you will be waiting.
Then in July I got a call offering me a position in a community house and after I weighed everything up I decided to accept. That's when I went back to waiting until two weeks ago when I got word that we had the green light and an opening date. It came around much sooner than I thought and today I finally signed a contract for a permanent social care position. So it's official and they can't take it back now. They are stuck with me.

Tomorrow will be my first ever day on the job. Admittedly it won't be a million miles from the work I have been doing but here's the thing. Tomorrow I will go to work as a social care worker and I don't really know what that means. I have been so used to working as a health care assistant which is tough but rewarding work. I know exactly what's expected of me in that role and there's a comfort to be had in that. The thing is In the house where I was based, the health care assistants never really made any of the big decisions. That was always done by the nurses. Yes at times this could be frustrating, that sense of powerlessness but in another way there was a freedom to it because someone else would decide and that took the responsibly off your shoulders.

In many ways I am looking forward to being in a position to affect more positive change in the lives of those I care for and perhaps to my voice being heard a little more clearly. But I will spend those first few days finding my feet and looking for clues for what extra things I should be doing in my capacity as a social care worker and I'll be hoping no one notices I really don't have a clue because I will be faking it until I make it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..