Laura shops local.

I am not going to say that today is the most productive day I have ever had but it is certainly going well. An unexpected day off this close to Christmas is fairly similar to having your school close due to flooding in that you enjoy that day off much more than a regular day. I have been up early tidying the apartment and listening to old style Christmas music and feeling altogether more festive than I have in weeks so I decided to make my way into town and pick up a few things.

Truth be told I did my Christmas shopping weeks ago and for the most part the stuff I am buying now is fairly unnecessary but I do love that feeling when buying for other people so I can't seem to stop myself so long as I have money left. Stephen's present is done and dusted and my kriskindle one for my sister is bought and badly wrapped already so really it was just a few token gifts I needed to get. I don't really like going into town when it's this busy as all the crowds and the queueing and that rather frantic vibe around the place generally make me feel a bit stressed but I had come up with a genius plan. I was only going to go into small shops, the local crafty type ones because I did not have the head for large department stores with their droves of people grabbing and pushing and their endless queues. Also it feels really good to shop local. After all its what keeps these businesses going and I am pretty sure the small places need it more than Debenhams.

My shop crawl went as follows. I headed along the quay, away from the crowds of Winterval to where the funkier more interesting shops lie. My first stop was larder. It's a small shop that sells mostly freshly baked goods and artisan foods and apparently has some of the best coffee in Waterford but seeing as I didn't want to be bouncing around town for the day I couldn't find that out first hand. The man behind the counter was lovely and chatty and I bought something small to go in a Christmas hamper just so as to not leave the shop empty handed.

After this I headed along to the cliff. A lovely little gift shop I only discovered last week.They were originally based out in Dunmore but moved the premises into town in October and I somehow never managed to pass it. The window looked so appealing last week that I had to go in for a look and I had promised myself I would come back this week to get something if I had money left over. The photo above is one of their windows (slightly altered for effect using an app on my phone). They had lots of little interesting things like beautifully scented natural candles and funky gifts, I mostly wanted all of it but I instead I bought the one thing I had been admiring the week before ( as a present for someone else) and then had a great chat with the girl working there. It was lucky I was not out on my lunch break because I have a terrible habit of monopolising the time of nice people in shops because sometimes I don't know how to finish a conversation. I left with my gift beautifully gift wrapped. It looks so much nicer than the stuff I wrapped myself that I was half tempted to ask if she would rewrap the other presents I have bought.

My next stop was in Full of beans ( health food store), a shop I frequent so often that all the staff know me by name and where I work. Another example of me talking too much. Everyone in there is always so helpful and they sell so many things I like or can't get anywhere else that its a wonder I am not in there more often. Where else would I get all my pukka tea from. I had called in to see if they sold organic wine, I didn't think so because I had never seen wine out there but figured it was worth checking. They didn't but helpfully suggested other places I might get it and then I thought since I was in there anyway I might take a look for little additions the present stash I was building. I came away with a few items and a heavier bag.

After that I made my way down to the Garter lane craft fair as you never know what you might find at craft fair and I came away with a lovely handmade soap and two beautifully illustrated greeting cards. I have a soft spot for unusual or interesting cards because there's only so many of Hallmark's finest you can buy and its much nicer to give a card that someone might actually want to keep on display.

Next I headed into Lily O'Briens and this I will admit was a stop just for me as during my sugar run I have developed quite a fondness for their milk chocolate buttons. I will be quite sad in the new year when I kick my chocolate habit for my own good and have to say goodbye to them. I have been going in there so often lately that I am actually getting embarrassed. Even in this busy season their staff are very fast and professional and I find often I don't have to queue very long because someone will ask if I am just buying buttons and take the money off me while those ahead are waiting for coffees. I hope this is not because I have become a familiar face in there.

Finally the last stop was  Ardkeen stores. I made a pitstop at home first to drop off my wares and pick up my car keys and then delayed myself somewhat by accidentally locking myself out and having to wait until my house mate could get back to let me to get them. It was lucky I had not left it any later as he has now gone home for Christmas. Ardkeen stores is still by far my favourite food emporium in all of Waterford because it has so many delicious and interesting foods you just don't see anywhere else. I picked up loads for the hamper and then some things for the cookies I will be baking later to have with hot apple juice. So now I am feeling properly Christmassy and I also did so much shopping local that I feel great about it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..