Having myself a merry little Christmas

I am sure everyone is well aware that Christmas is mere days away, none of us more so than the poor suckers in retail like myself. I can't say that I am feeling all that Christmassy so far despite my many festive work accessories like my Santa hat above or my hairband with tiny santa hat on top and my Christmas tree earrings. I am doing my best to give off the impression that I am a festive little elf indeed. Instead of an incredibly stressed woman who is spending the Christmas season thus far feeling under pressure and eating all her bad feelings in the form of chocolate. I think over the last few days I have mostly been going around with a slightly shell shocked expression on my face, from dealing with the crowds and the mess and the constant queries. It wears you and wears you down. It's hard with all of this going on to get the Christmas spirit going. I haven't voluntarily listened a single Christmas song yet. That's not to say I haven't heard one because I have been listening to them on a loop the last few weeks in work but usually at this time of year I have a Michael Buble album downloaded and something with Christmas classics sung by Bing Crosbie and Doris day but I am getting my fill of Christmas songs and I honestly think I would punch someone if they played me a motown Christmas song outside of the shop because I have lost count of how many times I have heard the Jackson five sing Santa Claus is coming to town ( way too many). 

I did get a tiny bit of Christmas buzz when I wrapped all my presents, as usual I did a terrible job. If you have not experienced my wrapping skills first hand then just imagine what it would look like if a small child with no thumbs had wrapped them. I get away with because I am an awesome present buyer. I also got a little buzz when buying one extra present for Stephen that I knew he would love but then spoiled it by getting too excited and telling him about it last night. I couldn't contain myself but at least I stopped short of getting him to open it ( I came pretty close) and now I am reaching the stage where I am worried that come Christmas Eve that all I will be left feeling is a sense of relief that I have two whole days of no work. 

Obviously this would be a shame but it is made worse by the fact that I have always been a big child about Christmas. I have always loved the build up; the shopping, wrapping gifts, watching my mother wrap other peoples gifts (even as she shoos me out of the room), lying under the tree finding presents with my name on them and trying to guess what might be inside, watching Christmas movies, the whole lot. I  would be the first one up on Christmas morning pacing until everyone else gets up and gets festive which can be a frustrating experience when you are in your mid to late twenties and your brother is too hungover to show his face until almost 10 am. All of this until my niece (now 5) came along and trumped me in Christmas enthusiasm ( but also forced everyone to get up early to see what Santa brought her) and then of course working in retail kind of killed my Christmas spirit.

I have only a few days left but I am aiming to rectify that. I could have accompanied my work colleagues on their 12 pubs of Christmas/ Christmas jumper outing. I however don't own a Christmas jumper, don't have the money or liver capacity to have 12 drinks and I have other plans for bringing back Christmas spirit. I will be like the littlest who in whoville singing where are you Christmas (if you don't get my Grinch reference then we can't be friends). I have downloaded a plethora of Christmas movies from Love actually to elf and classics like Holiday inn and I shall be catching up on Christmas. I left off a miracle on 34th street because the main kid in it has an incredibly irritating face that kind of ruins the movie. I have just downloaded a Bing Crosbie and a Doris Day Christmas album and thrown them together in a playlist and I am already feeling a bit more festive two songs in. Tomorrow I have managed to score myself a day off, shhh don't tell anyone because it could be a mistake but I have gotten through the last few days with the thought of this luscious day off so I am going to make the most of it. I wont be wearing a Santa hat around the apartment ( or if I do I will make sure there are no witnesses) but I will be having a lie in ( or waking up at 7 because my body clock is a dick) and a nice relaxed morning. I might wander into town for tea and to pick up a few Christmassy bits I have left to get. If I am feeling crazy I might make some Christmas cookies ( they will be regular cookies but I am eating them close to Christmas so you know) and you never know I might even have myself a merry little Christmas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..