Why be normal when you can be happy

One of the things that no one really tells you about being an adult is that you can find yourself under just as much pressure to fit in as when you're younger. The one major difference for me is that I seem to care a lot less about it.
Fitting in has never really been my area of expertise but I am at the point where I have stopped trying because why be normal when you can be happy or something a long those lines.

It's strange when you reach some level of acceptance of who you are, quirks and all and realize that some people will dislike you no matter what so running around trying to make everyone like is both exhausting and fruitless. It's also hard to say what exactly normal is anyway or so I tell myself.

Here are some things you may or may not know about me depending on whether or not you check my blog on an occasional basis or have the good fortune to know me in person.

1. I am a full on, know no shame about it nerd. I love lists and being organised. I like planning things endlessly in my head. I like setting tasks and getting them done. I love stationary and tuppawear, and have trouble leaving Tk Maxx with some of either in hand.

2. I am an avid reader/ part time book snob. I have no time for fifty shades or Cecelia Ahearne but I will plow through mountains of anything else. At the minute I am reading my way through some top children's and teenage titles for entertainment purposes but also to make me better at my job when it comes to recommending (yes, I am really that much of a nerd)

3. I am honest and sarcastic and awkward. I cannot tell a lie convincingly which is unfortunate for me but generally works to make me a better person. I live and breathe sarcasm and at this stage I have trouble turning it off. When  I am feeling shy or awkward I can often come across as rude. 

4. I am an introvert at heart so while I do like being around others, I go a bit cracked without some me time. I do better in the mornings if no one talks to me and I am content with my own company and  a good book.

5. I am still a picky eater even though I have come a long way in the last few years. My many years of bad eating has led to many a food intolerance which I will ignore at will, mostly pretending it doesn't make me feel sick (chocolate or dairy) or make me very fighty (chocolate) when it suits me and then clean up my diet again for a few weeks.

I think that pretty much sums me up. Some people will like my Lauraness and others may recoil from it but life is too short to be trying to change yourself to make yourself more likeable( unless you are truly obnoxious and then it might be worth a shot). I am done with being normal because I am happy just being me 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..