I'm happier sitting in corners

Laura likes being warm; having tea, eating yummy things, hugs (from Stephen), a really good book, taking photos on my phone, hanging out with my nieces, a good workout, long naps, chatting about books and time with friends.

She does (seeing as I started off in the the third person I may as well continue) not like the days leading up to Christmas; being sleep deprived, the feeling of eating too much sugar, hangovers, being shouted at by angry customers, big crowds, endless days (at work).

I am not sociable all of the time, I like being with me and listening to music, reading books, blogging, cooking and watching cop shows. I can however pull sociable Laura out of the bag on occasion like a party dress I haven't worn in a while and dust her off for a night out. 
I spent most of my week looking forward to such a night out with my Sisters gym. They had organised their Christmas night and I was happily off the next day so I planned my outfit, packed a bag and headed to work with sparkly eyes and shiny hair ( and a Santa hat hair band) but as the day wore on my enthusiasm for the party became less and less noticeable. I had two coffees and a considerable amount of sugar which should give you some idea of how my day was going. I ran around for my entire shift, I helped loads of people like a very sparkly Christmas elf ( with my hat and glittery eyes) but the day wore me down and by the time we were closing the shop I was having difficulty forming sentences which boded well for the night ahead.

At home I looked longingly at my couch and comfy clothes but threw on some food and got myself to Clonmel for a little after 8. It took me another hour to make myself feel human enough to venture out and immediately when I did, I wished I hadn't or that I had brought someone with me or had my book. It seems that all the friendly and outgoing parts of me had been worn down and I found myself hugging the corners of the room trying to remember how small talk worked again. I didn't stay long in the end, after having two drinks I was feeling wiped and I think I was more excited by the chocolate fountain than the bar ( I have the chocolate stains on my pants to prove it) and I had to force myself to approach clusters of people I knew from classes and think of things to say, generally doing pretty badly and leaving muttering something about getting another jelly worm. In the end I called for a lift before 12, I had enough and the party crowd were enough fun and drinks that my absence was unlikely to be noticed. 

I'd love to say that I went home for a lovely night's sleep and woke feeling refreshed and smug that I was not hungover but sadly that's not the case. I had an awful nights sleep and woke up for two hours in the middle of the night and so was like a zombie the next day. I did manage to drive myself back to Waterford in one piece and then spent the day eating  and complaining about how I was too tired to cope. Perhaps I am better off at home in my corner, a book in one hand and a cup of tea in the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..