Think I might be more of an afternoon person

You know those people who bounce out of bed, ready to great a new day ? well I am most definitely not one of those. I am the one sitting at the breakfast table thinking murderous thoughts about whoever is there with me as they slurp through their cereal. I realised many years ago that I am most definitely not a morning person and that's okay. There's plenty of room in the world for people who embrace mornings, I just don't particularly want to share my living space with them. I am the kind of person who would be a lot more pleasant after a nice mug of coffee but sadly due to my caffeine deprivation for quite some time I can no longer tolerate it and can't have coffee in the mornings unless I want the party to continue for at least 16 hours after and when I say party, I actually mean me being all twitchy and unable to sleep. 

I am pretty useless in the mornings and I have to rely on the part of my brain that automatically processes routine tasks like dressing and feeding myself and applies make up so I don't scare the children on my way to work. I even allow myself extra time for this, I don't do well with morning pressure, I prefer to mooch around a bit between making my lunch and sipping breakfast tea. 
I do find when my boyfriend stays over and attempts to engage me in conversation early in the morning it does not go well. I would prefer to communicate at that hour via nods or a whiteboard and I am certainly not waking equipped to discuss the political climate in the country. Ideally I would prefer morning time to be silent time so I can get my brain in gear and actually behave like a normal human once I walk in the door of work and if that's not possible, could we not just stick to topics like what nice things I might eat later or new tv shows I should be watching or funny things spotted online, those are all things morning Laura is equipped to deal with.

As it happens I am not too great at later evenings. I am very nuzzly and sleepy and I yawn quite a lot. and I really do become a full on cranky pants if I don't get my full nights sleep. You should ask Stephen, that's if he's not too traumatised to talk about it. I know I certainly had my heyday of late night parties with lots of dancing and silly carry on and while I am sure you say that on a certain level I am not able for that any more is just because I have gotten too old for it all ( I am in my thirties after all) but also its because a lot less alcohol is being consumed, particularly vodka red bulls ( which given how I react to a latte these days would probably kill me) and were disguising my secret that I am not really a night owl at all.

The truth of the matter is that I do my best work in the early afternoon, some time between when I have eaten lunch and when I start thinking, ah if I wasn't at work  I could have a nap right about now. I am sharper and friendlier and just more able to cope with life. Come to think of it, perhaps I should be worried that the window where I am at my peak is so damn short. 

The lesson here is that you are best to not be trying to talk to me before 10 am ( unless I am in work where they dislike me being mute and sulky) or after 10 pm ( unless I  am out and about masquerading as a social person) and that you probably not try to engage in a conversation about sport (yawn) or politics ( bigger yawn ) unless you have seen me eat chocolate as that does make me a bit fighty. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..