Undomestic goddess


It may not come as a shock to most people, that I am not exactly a domestic goddess, least of all me but I realized how far off the mark I am tonight when I spent a solid 15 minutes searching for an iron only to realize we don't have one in this apartment. This wouldn't be that bad 
Except for the fact that I've been living here almost 2 months now and tonight is the first time I've looked. Which means I haven't ironed anything in the last two months. My mother would be horrified. Mind you I had an iron in my last place and I don't think I plugged it in once in the year that I lived there . What can I say, ironing is not my forte. Clothes have been known to look more wrinkled by the time I am finished than when I started. So
I shop accordingly, no linens in my wardrobe but ironing is only part of the reason for that. 

I am one of those people who likes to live somewhere clean but doesn't necessarily enjoy the process of cleaning so sometimes it all gets a little messy before I crack and tackle the worrying pile of random paperwork that's gathered on the dresser. Or trying to make time to give the place a proper clean but other bits of life get in the way and I can't say it helps that the guy Im living with hasn't actually turned on the hoover since he moved in. I wonder if he's even aware we have three in our spare cupboard. So we could both hoover at once with a spare left over for a guest. 

I won't wax lyrical about my cooking skills but find it suffice to say I have yet to poison myself. Given that I am vegetarian that becomes a lot less impressive. I have never catered a dinner party or cooked for a group and nor am I likely to anytime soon. I don't know if I could cook something complicated because I have rather boring taste in food so quite frankly it has never quite come up. 

I sew only if I absolutely have to but would consider glue or staples as an option if I could. I find sewing to be an unrewarding pursuit that rarely achieves the desired effect of said button (usually) being properly attached to the coat or cardigan in question by the time I am finished. And when it is there is huge messy glob of thread attached to it as though a small drunken child is responsible.

So there you have it, I am no domestic goddess. Luckily for me the age of the housewife has passed and I can excel in other areas of life while being secure in the knowledge I would not have gotten very far in the 1940's. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..