Why burpees suck and other life lessons

Tonight while I was mid burpee at home I found myself trying not to die but also weighing up the benefits of working out at home more. I had told my sister (who's also my crossfit coach) that I wouldn't be able to get down for a class this week and she kindly sent me on workout that I would never have chosen myself. The best part was a hundred burpees for time and they are largely the reason why I look like I fell into a container of blusher over an hour after completing the workout. If you are not familiar with them a burpee is a movement that involves jumping into a push up position and then jumping back up in the air and clapping your hands above your head. It might sound silly but it doesn't take many to make me look like I'm dying. I find that much like running while I might see some actual improvement over time my level of enjoyment does not go up. I saw a someecard recently that said if I am murdered and my body is found on a running track, please know I was killed elsewhere and dumped there and I think that perfectly sums up my attitude to running. 

So on the plus side of my mini home gym I finished the whole thing in about 30 minutes and then I got to collapse on my bedroom floor in a sweaty puddle making a mental note to make sure the heating is off next time I do push ups by a radiator. I did not look beautiful when I was finished and I think I may have alarmed my housemate somewhat when I popped into the kitchen looking quite disheveled to turn off my rice before it burned. My proximity to home and my shower and then my bed all plusses on the home workout front. As is being finished much earlier and not having to drive to Clonmel and stay in my parents ice box of a house. So you might think my home gym would win out and that I will crossfit in a corner of bedroom forever more.

It's not quite as simple as that. Firstly I moved in here 6 weeks ago and that's the first time I've actually done anything. I'd almost forgotten I even had kettlebells in my room. Most of the time I've had the perfectly valid excuse that I am down to Clonmel so often and squeezing in so many classes that really there is no real need to work out at home but this isn't always the case. The truth is I've gotten lazy and complacent and mostly lazy. I felt really good after tonights workout (perhaps not so much during) and I was glad I had done it, hopefully I will be able to motivate myself to do another soon. That's just the thing though I lack motivation on a fairly impressive scale. I am awesome at writing out a workout, setting time aside for it and sometimes even laying out workout clothes and still managing to talk myself out of it with excuse or another.
Another factor is my room is not so roomy. It's not teeny tiny but there's not a whole lot of space to jump about crossfit style. I didn't accidentally punch a door frame like in my old place but I had just about enough room to burpee safely so my range of motion is somewhat limited. Now Logically I'd have moved it all into the living room but now that I live with a man for the first time I don't particularly feel like jumping about like a loon in workout clothes while he does college work in the next room.
Oh and not to mention the fact that all I have hear is two kettlebells - the heaviest is a 12kg and a skipping rope so I'm not exactly going to be pushing myself.

I think I'm going to try and do both. Being less of lazy bean at home and getting down to the gym when I can and of course I can always do burpees anytime anywhere, lucky me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..