A very merry vegetarian Christmas


I was always the one in my family first up on Christmas morning, impatiently waiting for everyone to get up so we could get to the good part, the present opening. But the last four years we've had a tiny person in the house at Christmas time so I'm no longer the most 
excited person in the house. 

This year my niece is four and a half and was the most excited I've ever seen her about Christmas. last year it all got a bit much and she actually cried after seeing her Santa presents. snacks were left out last night and a note was pinned on the Christmas tree ( at Santa's height ) asking him to make a special effort to be quiet so as not to wake her up. Obviously 
It was the child's idea. Christmas is definitely a lot better with a small Santa believer around and it brings Back the magic that was lost the moment I realised my parents were actually the ones putting the presents under the tree, eating the mince pies we left out on Christmas Eve and writing those more we always thought Santa was leaving ( sorry if I spoiled it for anyone ) 

I was still the first one to wake this morning but only because this stupid never ending cold had me in bed at an embarrassing early time. I swear I didn't wake up early out of excitement. a little after 8 I hear this hysterical giggling from the hallway. Which was where the stocking had been hung. You know because kids these days are a little wary about a strange man coming into their room even if that man is Santa. Naturally I roused myself from bed to watch Christmas unfold. honestly the stuff in her stocking would probably have been enough to keep her happy for the day but my favourite reaction of all was when she pulled an apple from her stocking and laughed saying I don't need an apple. 

It wasn't long before we all traipsed downstairs to see what Santa had left and this year, better equipped , there were no tears. Usually I would be impatient to open some gifts by this stage but I showed some pretty impressive restraint this year and held out until after breakfast. My niece however found the wait a bit tougher. Then again I do have a good 27 years on her so it's not that shocking that I would cope better with the waiting. 

I did well this Christmas and I'm
Still feeling pretty pleased with my spoils or loot. Including a really cool Chinese tea  pot , my favourite perfume , the one type of chocolate I can eat ( and oh boy did I out do myself eating it 🐷) and some really nice shower stuff among many other things. My favourite part is still the whole family together ( sorry If that's a little cheesy but there you go ) as it happens so rarely. 

with all the presents opened I hibernated on the couch for the day with the fire lit and white Christmas on in the background. One of those old movies I was convinced I'd watched but It turns out I was confusing it with holiday inn ( an easy mistake to make ) as my niece carefully painted a dinosaur money box my brother bought for her. 

I skipped out on the family walk , pleading my atrocious cough as an excuse and was home to see my other sister and her family arrive. So I guess it's just as well I stayed, right? The kids all ran around giddy with excitement taking photos on the new cameras Santa brought. Clever Santa.

I know the question everyone always has about Christmas is what we actually eat on the big day and for some reason to all non vegetarians this is shrouded in mystery. I personally get bored of the question so I get inventive and tell people 
We eat tofurkey ( a turkey made from tofu -yum) which I believe is a real thing. Just to see the look of abject horror on their faces. I won't be revealing all about the vegetarian Christmas dinner in this post either though, I prefer to keep it mysterious plus there's that pact all vegetarians are forced to sign stating we can't give away our secrets ( I'm joking or am I ? ) 

After dinner I settled back by the fire determined to finish my book and simultaneously watch crappy tv. I'd like to think i managed both. All in all it was a pretty good Christmas and I regret nothing ( except perhaps the sheer volume of chocolate i managed to consume, which may or may not be the reason I am now too wired to sleep)   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..