Poetry not in motion


Tonight, With no other plans lined up I sat down to watch a movie my boyfriend had downloaded for me and I was feeling 
Pretty good about my choice of viewing because world cinema is fairly educational, isn't it ? Ah well at least it is generally a better calibre of movie than your usual Hollywood blockbuster or perhaps that's just the film snob in me coming out. Considering the last movie I'd watched was that new one called the internship about Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson reinventing themselves as google interns. Take my advice and give that one a miss. Some entertaining jokes and a somewhat heartwarming underdogs win ending but overall utter tripe. 

Now tonight's lesson is to be more observant and to read the synopsis before watching a movie instead of looking at the poster on imdb and reading the first two lines of the summary and saying that's niiiice because it wasn't. now I am not here to critique the plot itself or the camera work or any of that because I was too busy being horrified by the actual plot unfolding to really take all of that in.

What I thought I was sitting down to watch was a heartwarming story about a grandmother who's the full time care taker for her teenage grandson who
Discovers a hidden passion for Poetry. Yea so that stuff happens so it's not like I was that far off the mark except I was. 

*plot spoilers from here on 

So the film is in Korean with subtitles ( obviously ) and very early on we learn that the grandmother has been diagnosed With early onset dementia And she brushes it off and joins a poetry class , so far nice story , right ?
Her grandson appears to be a little shit of a kid but I was thinking average ungrateful teenager until the grandmother gets invited to a meeting by several of the fathers of her grandsons friends. A teenage girl in the grandsons class had recently committed suicide and she had left behind a diary stating the reason 
behind this was that she had been gang raped for months by 6 boys in her class. She named the old lady's grandson and
Five of his friends. The fathers knowing about this decide the best course of action is to pay off the girls mother so as to avoid tarnishing their reputations and the school and the police have agreed in the hopes of avoiding a scandal. The old lady agrees because she has no choice but doesn't have the money. 
She works part time as a Carer for an elderly disabled man and he offers her money for sex and because she has no
Other way to get the cash she prostitutes 
herself. 

The Girls family agree to accept the money so the boys walk away without facing any consequences for their actions. In fact the grandmother never even mentions the whole thing to her grandson. While all of this going she is going to Poetry readings and her class and eventually writes her first poem. Excuse my language but the whole thing was bleak as fuck and I was left filled with regret that I'd picked this as my movie to watch before sleeping. Next time I'll make better choices but I can only live and learn 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..