Good news


This morning at my parents house the radio was playing in the background and I found myself half listening as they ran through the news headlines. It made me want to crawl back into bed. God, the news is so damn depressing. It's all about the next economic crisis or death and there is a whole lot of death in the news.

I do wonder sometimes how people take all of that on and still manage to go about 
their daily routine because the overall feeling you get from the news headlines is that we live in a horrible world and it seems the stories are purposely compiled in such way to highlight all the negativity in the world. 

I do know that these things are only in the news because they have happened and that's a bigger problem in society than I can hope to deal with. But I also know that the world we live isn't always quite so gloomy and it would be nice if we could focus on that I occasionally. Who wouldn't like to hear more good news and I don't mean the sort of story about Mary down the road who won the lotto jackpot because that only spurns jealousy and comments about how she'll probably spend it all in 5 years and then have this sob story about how winning the lotto ruined her life. 

No , when I say I want to hear good news, I want to hear stories of people being altruistic, of neighbours helping neighbours and communities coming together in times of crisis because that stuff is happening too. Now it's probably telling that during my teenage years I positively devoured the chicken soup for the soul books. If you are not familiar with them they are a compilation of stories that are said to warm your cold dark heart and mend your soul ( that might be paraphrasing somewhat ). They are supposedly true stories about People doing good for other people and I remember getting teary Eyed reading them but I was an emotional teenager so there might have been more to that than really moving stories. 

So I've decided I'm now on the lookout for better news. I don't want to sit around 
Talking about what business went bust or who has died recently or about that murder or assault that's all over the papers. If you could Please keep stories that contain the words tragic and devastating to yourself, it would be much appreciated. I'll be more than happy to
Hear about a medical marvel or an astounding act of charity, bravery etc. when you hear of such news, you know where to find me. Nestled in a chair l, halfway through a good book, a million miles from reality 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..