You can count me out of the fan club


If you're not familiar with Nicholas sparks then you're not really missing out on very much. Unfortunately as a women working in a bookshop with eyes that see stuff, I find him hard to avoid. I have seen a few of his movies but have refused on principle to sit through the notebook. I am not known for being a lover of all things sappy. Despite reading quite voraciously and managing to suffer through a good few Cecilia ahearne books in my time ( the library didn't have the best selection and I was starting to run out of things to read ) but I have never once read so much as a page of a Nicholas sparks 'novel' and yet I feel more than qualified to judge him but that's just the kind of woman I am. 

I am armed with some knowledge, not just my scathing review of the blurb on the back covers as seen by me. I once read this article on cracked.com about Nicholas sparks and they were mocking him in the sarcastic fashion that readily appeals to me. He has claimed that he is more original than Shakespeare. great so we've established that he's suffering from delusions of grandeur. The article then goes on to pick apart every movie adaptation of his books that's ever been made to prove how unoriginal he is. 

Like how all his movie posters look the same (as recreated on book covers above) and the theory is that whenever he's adapting a book Into a movie he goes to the only poster he knows. Not to mention the fact that every Nicholas sparks book / movie is essentially the same story with a few details tweaked and a new cast. So In almost every story we have a couple that want to be together but can't usually because of differing social circumstances, we have one person who is estranged from a parent that they will later reunite with and someone else will die or have died from
cancer ( It's like he's never heard of any other disease) usually a family member and the estranged couple will find a way to reunite in the end. That is not Shakespeare , hell that's barely even writing. A trained monkey could probably do a better job with those basic plot points. You can consider me unimpressed and now I must track down that cracked article because it really is hilarious 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..