The girl scouts' guide to natural remedies

In the interests of full disclosure I must now advise you that this isn't really a girl scouts guide to anything and if I am completely honest, I will also admit to never being in the girl scouts. I just liked how it sounded as a blog title but it's my blog so I'm allowed some creative licence. I was, however, in the brownies for a year (for children too young to join girl scouts) but I soon realized that it wasn't really for me. I am delighted that I learned how to make a no bake cake, no really !, I am but I was smart enough to see that the boy scouts were the ones having all the fun with their camping and survival skills and quite frankly I was bored so I quit. 

When we were kids my mum was all about the natural remedies. She had a cure for everything and a press full of herbal remedies and tablets for every non fatal ailment going. If you didn't need to hospitalized you were probably trying a homeopathic remedy first and seeing a doctor was for more serious stuff or when you were too ill for the usual methods to make much of a difference. In our house we had something for everything from bee stings to sore throats and while its not strictly herbal, everyone knows flat 7 up is the best thing for an upset stomach, right ? 

You know I don't think it did my immune system any harm not having as many anti-biotics and there's much you can heal without pumping yourself full of chemicals so I've grown using them as a last resort. My cupboard is ready for winter with a good supply of garlic, vitamin c and echinacea and if I feel a sore throat coming on then oil of oregano is about to be my new best friend. 

You realize how much impact your upbringing has when you become an adult and you realize a lot of your beliefs aren't entirely your own but I don't think my reflex of turning to the health food store before the chemist has done me much in the way of harm. It's my stubbornness that is far more likely to be my downfall. I have been sick since Monday, nothing major but I have probably taken every herbal thing I could get my hands on trying to kick this infections ass but sadly it was all to no avail.

Originally I couldn't afford the doctor because what Eejit gets sick three days before payday and I just got some delight from the bioforce range to tide me over and then I became determined to not fork over the 55 euro for the doctor when there was just no need, no need at all I tell you. And then feeling increasingly sorry for myself as I didn't get any better but still managing a few crossfit classes instead of just recovering and perhaps that's why I caved today and rang caredoc begging for all the drugs. Okay fine, so I just got the one anti biotic but you can't say I didn't give the herbal route a good try. And it won't stop me trying something natural the next time I'm ill which hopefully wont be for a good while yet 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..