Help, I'm addicted to the internet. sort of

Tonight My internet got fixed and I was so pleased I almost kissed the UPC man, almost. Its an important distinction. I haven't had proper internet since Saturday evening ( well if you don't count the week at home using only 3G, like some sort of heathen. ) and I wasn't enjoying it even a little bit. It doesn't help matters that my apartment appears to be some sort of black spot where mobile towers can barely reach and I am treated to occasional 3G in parts of the apartment and sporadic phone reception so when my wifi goes down I get a lot done.

Now I was really missing the internet, possibly feeling a little frustrated about the things I was making do without like the websites I couldn't access, updating my blog from my phone (the sheer inconvenience of it), finding out on facebook who won the crossfit games instead of streaming the live footage at a ridiculous hour with my delightful 25mb broadband, the tv shows I usually downloaded being put on hold. You get the picture, I was thoroughly inconvenienced. I think the worst part of this despite my dramatic carrying about I still got online. I just wasn't doing so from the comfort of my couch. On Sunday, I actually watched crossfit footage for two hours on youtube while really making the most of a glass of water , just to take advantage of a local hotel's wifi and yesterday a friend of mine took pity on my internetless state and actually gave me the key to her house while she was at work so I could hang out and use her internet for a few hours. At first it felt a bit strange but then I just went with it and watched all the footage I'd been dying to see (of the crossfit games, of course!) and downloaded a load of tv shows and then just browsed for a while.

We always say we don't rely too much on technology but I find when you take it away we really see that were just lying to ourselves. I managed for many years without a smart phone and now I am just in one an army of Iphone groupies, wondering what I'd do without my apps when two years ago I couldn't have told you what an app was. I think it's the same for many people, either you fight technology every step of the way ( just ask my mother, she'll tell what I mean when she's done swearing at her laptop for not doing what she told it) or you can embrace it. I like to think that's what I've done. See I'm using the powers of a high speed connection for good, not evil so it's all good here. I'm not really addicted to the internet at all, I'm just a little dependent on it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..