It's for charity

As part of my ongoing campaign to be less hermitty I agreed to go to a charity fashion show with a friend. With all the rain and the miserable sort of feeling it brings I was feeling the very pressing need to get out of my apartment. I am not great about giving to charity in general but then again when you're trying to figure out how you're going to magic up some money for your ESB bill then somehow being charitable seems less important especially when  the streets of Waterford are littered with charity muggers looking to take up much of your valuable time and money for a small bit of commission. Honestly, if I was in a position to give money regularly to charity the thought of giving it to people who get a portion of my charitable donation just annoys me. Seeing as I don't have cash to spare it's a bit of a moot point but I do occasionally get annoyed thinking about it. Sometimes I am not the most rational of individuals.

When I was in college, studying social care, a few of us signed up for childline and I was a volunteer with them for a little over a year until college and work commitments got to be too much and I had to give it up. Now I do think it's a valuable service but I was finding I wasn't getting nearly enough genuine calls. Childline is a free phone number which meant I spent a good amount of time fielding prank calls from very bored and worryingly unsupervised children and also quite a few calls from very creepy grown men masquerading as seventeen year olds. Unfortunately the policy was you had to take the 'young person' at their word when they gave you their age and you could only end the call if it became explicit in content, Not only did that feel like a waste of my time but it also gave me the bad kind of shivers.

I think though there's only so long I can dine out on that story of my charitable contribution and by dine out I mean do very little for charity in the meanwhile because I consider the hours spent at childline my charity contribution for the foreseeable future.
Well worry no more Laura, because tonight I spent €10 I could ill afford on a charity 'fashion show' and because I arrived 20 minutes late I happened to miss the fashion show part but did get treated to about 40 mins of a children's dance group performing badly choreographed dances. Had I actually known any of the kids involved I'm sure it would have been adorable but unfortunately for me I didn't and was left somewhat underwhelmed. Okay that sounds a bit mean and is probably due to the fact that most of my experience of children dancing is based on the sky show 'got to dance' ( the one Adam Garcia is a judge on) so perhaps I was holding them to ridiculously high standards.
Well that's my charity contribution for another while and I got out of the apartment, well done me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..