oh I thought you said Rum

So I've been running or trying to run. There's no point in getting excited about it because the novelty of running will probably have worn off by the time I've finished writing this blog post. There's exactly two things I like about running. One It allows me to let off steam and two when I go for a run I usually take a circular route so I have to keep going until I get home which makes it a lot harder to just give up and retire to my couch. On the other hand the list of things I don't like about running is much longer so here goes.

1. I am terrible at running. yes it's a thing and it's a valid reason to not like it. I like things I am good at. These are the types of things I persevere with and running is not one of those things for me. Allegedly if I keep it up I will eventually get better but I've yet to see any evidence of that on the few occasions I've tried it. Perhaps the problem is that I run for a few days and then give it up only to rediscover it a few weeks or months later and it's a bit like saying that push up I did last year counts for nothing.

2. My boobs do not like to run. I am aware they are not separate entities and they do in fact come with me when I run but they do not do so willingly. If you are not a woman you will not get this but even running down stairs in a low support bra can be a harrowing experience. To run I have to go to great lengths to ensure my bra and running gear combine to strap down those babies because otherwise the pervy bystanders are about to get a whole lot pervier.

3. The sweat. Yes I crossfit so sweat is hardly new to me. I have left full body imprints on the gyms mats on more than one occasion but as the fool who took up running again during a heatwave I am discovering that there are sweaty women and then there is me post run. 
Have you ever been so sweaty that you got trapped inside your running vest? or so clammy you had to wait 10 mins after changing out of your sweaty run clothes before you could put anything else on ? welcome to running in 22 degrees.

4. Where the hell I am supposed to put my stuff when running? I've been to sports shops and seen all the fancy gear they try to pawn off on you but considering my track record with running, more on again and off again than the most dysfunctional relationship, It seems foolish to invest on what may be a passing fancy. I need music when I run to distract me from the alarming sound of my own labored breathing but I have repeatedly struggled with the dilemma of what to do with my phone. I have no pockets and placing it in the waistband means I have to keep stopping to rescue my phone before it accidentally falls into my knickers and holding it is too damn awkward. I had decided to just go ahead and buy one of those running armbands for iphones but then I realized how much they cost and instead bought a sweat band for my wrist. The poor women's iphone holder, its sweaty and at times I feel like I might be cutting off my circulation but other than that it works just fine.

5. The location. So I live in the inner city, the top of the town as the natives call it. The thing with me and running is that if I can't just head out the door and run I'll probably already have lost interest and be two chapters into whatever book I'm reading so I pick a route that doesn't take me too far from home. The problem with this is that I live in a pretty built up area so when you I go running in a vest and shorts I get a whole lot of men slowing down in their cars for a look. Mostly men who are old enough to be my dad if not my granddad. Also there's not much around where I'm living bar houses, pubs and takeaways and after I ran through Ballybricken the other night to a very hostile response I realized people on their way to the chinese do not want to be passed by someone in running gear. It makes them feel bad and it makes me feel awkward.

Other than that what's not to love about running. Maybe it will become my favourite after all. I doubt it but watch this space just in case 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..