It's not all fun and ice creams in an Irish summer


Don't get me wrong, this mini heatwave is great. I can't get enough of the good weather and I'm out in the sun as much as work will allow me but there are some aspects to it that I could happily do without.

Take last night for example I was in the park in the evening with some friends, delighting in the fact that I only needed a light cardigan and I wasn't even cold, yes it doesn't take much for an Irish girl to get 
Excited when it comes to Anything vaguely summery. I do remember complaining about the midges, it's just the sort of weather that attracts them. But when I woke this morning I realized the midges were more than a vague annoyance because it would seem as far as midges are concerned, I am absolutely delicious ( like catnip for midges or midge nip if you will ) and I would be flattered ( sure it's nice to be liked) if not for the fact that I am covered in angry red bites and now have a lovely chemical aroma thanks to the cream I have lovingly slathered each one in. 

That would be my main complaint, the most prominent one of all my summer grievances but right now I am more insect bite than woman so it is to be expected. Admittedly it is not the only part of the mini Mediterranean summer that doesn't agree with me. The problem is here in Ireland we don't get much good weather so while we are excessively grateful for any scraps of sunshine that get thrown our way we are also ill equipped for the Warmer weather. My normally cold apartment is suddenly too Clammy, parts of the shop are like a pre heated oven and those of us stuck in work are growing cranky and sweaty in the heat. 

There's something about a hot summer that makes you lazier and sleepier and when the temperature goes past a certain point I am begrudgingly doing anything that is not napping in a sun lounger in a bikini ( all well and good provided I stay lying down as my not so flat stomach doesn't stand up to closer observation) and sadly so far there has been no lounging and only other things which feel like a chore, a sweaty chore. 

I'm still going to be out, lapping up every bit of sunshine I can get because anyway 
Now I'm going to open my curtains to grey skies and the soft pitter patter of rain that features heavily in all the Irish summers gone before.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..