The bubble

I'm often chastised for not really knowing what's going on in the world. You know that one news story everyone is talking about, that scandal or murder that's in all the papers, yes well I haven't seen it. When everyone is sitting around discussing the details I am looking on blankly trying to work out what I've missed.

Many people will say it's impossible to miss the really big stories because if you don't read  newspapers then there's TV and radio but I live in a news less bubble. I tried reading the Irish times in my first year of college. Our social studies lecturer suggested we read at least one paper a week but oh it was so boring and depressing that it pained me to even skim over the articles. I like to read, no actually I love to read but I want to lose myself in someone 
else's world and not get bogged down in the details of the miserable world we live in.
So on break in work everyone else has picked up a paper and I'm making my way through my latest book, oblivious to it all.

I don't even own a radio except for the one in my car and I rarely listen to it while driving but I'd turn it off when the news comes on. I download all my tv shows on to my laptop so no TV means no ads and no news and just me being thoroughly entertained. In reality I don't miss out that much. I hear stories being discussed on break and my colleagues happily fill me on the salient details. As well as that Facebook has proved surprisingly useful for someone who doesn't want to be completely out of the loop but has no real desire to actively follow current events. That actor from Glee that died, I found that out on Facebook; Kate Middleton had a baby boy and again thank you Facebook. 

Okay so maybe there's murders and natural disasters and shootings and scandals all happening and here I am in my media free bubble blissfully unaware but so what. The world can be a dreary enough place as it is so what difference does it make whether I am up to date on how sorry a state its in. Does it make it any less tragic? no, It doesn't. In fact my knowing about these events as they occur only impacts me and am I wrong to try and find what happiness I can. After all they do say ignorance is bliss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..