The crossfit games and me

I am without question one of the least sporty people you will ever meet, most likely to be heard muttering there's a match on? What sport are we talking about whenever someone is discussing the all Ireland final of whatever. I believe it was something involving a ball but I'm just guessing here. Now I would be lying if I said that crossfit had changed all that for me because I still tune out whenever some starts talking sport but as the crossfit games roll round I find myself taking a vested interest in a way that I never have before. Last year I had been crossfitting just over a year and I remember being vaguely aware that the games were on but couldn't have named an athlete competing if pushed.

In the 12 months since then things have changed. Last summer I got a new job With more flexible hours and suddenly I was free to go home during the week and do more crossfit classes than ever before and the more I do the greater my enthusiasm for it. somehow I found myself eagerly watching the open and then the regionals and actively looking forward to the games. Even going so far as to ensure my time off coincided With them. 

As always with life things did not go to plan and I found myself at my parents house with the most frustratingly slow Internet, having difficulty doing anything more than regularly checking the leader-board for updates. I resigned myself to the fact that I'd just have to wait until I got home to catch up properly. I actually came back to Waterford all excited about  all the catch up footage I was going to watch but arrived back at my apartment to find my router unresponsive. I'm told it might be because of the lightening storms last week but that doesn't really matter. The games were almost over and i hadn't even seen the update shows. 

Today I went on a wifi hunt and found myself spending two glorious hours in a hotel bar streaming all the update shows I've missed and catching up on some highlights of the games and after I felt absolutely fired up. I think the beauty of it is these inspiring athletes are doing a lot of movements I can do ( in a scaled down version) or am learning to do and it makes it relatable in a way that no other sport has been to me. 

Tomorrow myself and my laptop are going to a friends house so I can watch the archived footage of what I've missed so I don't feel so out of the loop but I will admit I'm a little gutted that I won't get to see the finale in real time. I'm hoping rich froning will win, it's now looking very likely 
Indeed but I can see Camille blanc bazinet isn't going to be the champion I was hoping for. I know it's not sporting but I'd like It it any woman bar Sam Briggs won for the women's part. She's such a bloke with her big blokey arms and she's a bit of a Chav. Terrible as it sounds I find it hard to cheer her on. This time tomorrow il probably be googly eyed after half a day watching crossfit but il also be really pumped and excited to train again even if its just me and a kettle bell getting sweaty in my living room

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..