Frostbitten

With the sudden drop in temperature the perisher in me comes out. You would think as someone who grew up in house old enough to have invented dampness that I would have acclimatized by now but then you would be wrong. When im at home I'm fairly okay but then again I am usually wrapped in giant fluffy dressing gown that makes me resemble some sort of Russian Oligarch while I will myself to get dressed and go outside. 

It's the sort of weather that hurts your face and that may be because it's the only part of me that's actually being exposed to the air. I leave for work wrapped in as many layers as I can while still being able to move my limbs freely because it can get chilly in the shop. Recently  I went all out and bought some woolish ( in that they probably don't contain any actual wool) leggings and a thermal vest. I was cosier than a cosy thing in work, it was lucky I havent ended up having a nap on one of the bean bags. Well lucky for me as I'm certain that's a sackable offence. I will admit to being baffled by how this thermal vest is supposed to work when it's virtually opague and if worn on it's own possibly a little bit saucy. I get the impression that it's not supposed to be worn as such. None the less it did the job and I didn't feel the wind slicing through my work clothes, wool jacket, two scarves and wooly hat on the walk home. Another layer and my hands would probably stick straight out at the sides. 

At my parents house sans thermals its another story. Outside the sitting room, With it's cosy fire, the floor is so cold it hurts my feet even through my fluffy slipper socks and water left out on the kitchen counter feels chilled as though it's just come out of the fridge. Last night on an overnight visit I went to
Bed With two hot water bottles , my dressing gown plus a fluffy blanket and I was only warm enough provided I didn't move. I got to relive my teenage years by getting dressed under the Covers. Awkward as hell but a lot cosier than the alternative. Before all that self consciousness kicked in
I remember my sister, brother and I used to fight for Space on the radiator In
Our hallway. The middle was the best spot to be pressed against while quickly going from pyjamas to uniform. and now I find myself crouched in front of the fire going from gym clothes to pyjamas quickly before my parents walk in and I accidentally flash them. Somewhat awkward to say the least.

For some this time of year is an excuse to dress up warm and sit by the fire but my apartment has gas heating so it doesn't really have the same effect so maybe you're among the few who enjoy winter but I will be daydreaming about living in sunnier climes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..