Dream a little dream of me

I would have achieved a lot more by this point in my life If I hadn't lost quite so much time to daydreaming. Even updating my blog can sometimes take almost an hour because I pause during typing to get lost during some reverie. I'm sure its just a sign of creative mind so really that's good thing but try telling me that when my alarm went off twenty minutes ago and I'm too lost in my own thoughts to have gotten my ass out of bed.

I think as a child, in primary school, virtually every report card said that I was bright but needed to spend less time daydreaming. That's easier said than done. Sometimes there's not enough going on in the now to hold my attention. Surely daydreaming is a natural response to boredom. Although some say every time you day dream it's actually your brain having a very mild epileptic fit. This is certainly a lot less charming and perhaps a tad worrying given the frequency with which my mind tends to wander.

I am not dreaming of winning the lottery and torturing myself with thoughts of riches that will never be mine nor am I daydreaming about becoming famous. I think you should really possess some sort of substantial talent or else that is nothing more than a waste of good thinking time. Why spend your free moments wishing on the impossible. I do occasionally daydream about someone I like, okay fine so more than occasionally; about some future event I am looking forward to and maybe somewhat alarmingly my most frequent form of daydream usually involves something I've been reading. In my head I will continue on dialogues and sub-plots for characters in the latest book that has taken my attention. I will sometimes get a thought into my head and before I know have a conversation playing out between imaginary characters. Before you express alarm just let me reassure you that I am not hearing voices in my head and I am always conscious that this is nothing more my imagination run riot. 

Sometimes I feel I need to focus more and daydream less and will try and restrict my daydreaming until I am lying in bed trying to fall asleep (or stay awake if I'm really enjoying this particular day dream) and yet I will still find myself in moments of stillness, falling into a world of my own making. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..