The reluctant dinner guest

I often get asked where I eat when I eat out and it always makes me laugh and then laugh some more because I don't actually eat out. True story. Upon reflection I do realize this is actually kind of sad but my options are limited so I think my last trip to a restaurant was back when I could still eat pizza. And yes that was the only thing I ate out. These days I am still limited but the limitations are a different breed.

When I was kid, I was the one you didn't want to have over for dinner. I was a pain in the ass. I only ate certain things and I was unwilling to compromise. I was not the child eating something to be polite. I was the one adamant she was not hungry while her stomach rumbled ominously. I remember once going to stay with my aunt for a few days and after two days she had to send me home because I wasn't actually eating anything at all and she was pretty worried. My sisters used to tell me when I was younger that when I became an adult my fussy eating would limit me because I wouldn't be able to eat out socially and I know I scoffed and ignored them. The thing is they were right but shhhh don't tell them I said that. I'd never hear the end of it.

I am not the fussy eater I used to be. Before you misinterpret I am not claiming I have seen the error of my ways but I have changed since the six year old who would only eat about twenty different foods in total. When I started my food elimination diet it suggested that you contact a restaurant in advance to make them aware of your limitations and I really can't imagine anything worse. Hi, I'm planning on eating at your restaurant but I can't eat wheat, dairy, sugar or these vegetables and Oh I'm vegetarian. Yea I can hear the dial tone already.

The one big difference is I'm getting more willing to try new things , well sort of. It's all baby steps here. So I might eat in a proper restaurant just yet. I have been looking at the fish options in a few places but I'm not sure if it's au fait to ask is that fish very fishy tasting because I wouldn't like that or will it have bones. I prefer not to think of my food as once living. I got hake a month or so ago in a local fishmongers and it had all bones in it. It really creeped me out and I haven't had hake since. Then again I am very suggestive person. As a child I used to love petit filous yogurts, In fact they were probably my only source of calcium but one day my sister pointed out that they were made from the same stuff as cheese and I couldn't eat them after that because they tasted too cheesy. Yea as you can imagine my parents were only delighted to have me refusing yet another food.

I'm not quite that bad, I reckon I might even be redeemed one of these days but in the meanwhile I'd suggest you don't try to cook for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..