Pop music: have we just stopped trying ?

Whenever I'm driving home I throw on the radio to beat fm ( local pop music station) in the hope of something to wake me up or put me in a better mood so I can reach Clonmel in the mood to train instead of nap.

I have begun to notice a few things though firstly a lot of the music makes me think about the gym and you might be surprised to hear its not because there's a sudden increase in songs about  
Working out ( because there isn't) but the gym playlist is borrowed heavily from the charts and then plays on random so everytime I hear that song (which may or may not be called this) talk dirty to me I want to lift weights. And maybe the gym needs a different playlist. 

The other thing is that some of the stuff is so awful I'd rather drive to silence and a bit of my own tuneless singing rush endure another second of it. I was listening to some awful tripe from that knob-jockey Jason derulo ( he works his name into every song therefore he's clearly a knob) and I just thought are they  even trying anymore. Does he write his own stuff because he should be embarrassed his lyrics were so ridiculous.

Now I do on occasion like a small bit of pop but I was admittedly more partial to it when I used to go out drinking. Nothing like some mindless drivel when you feel like dancing. With alcohol my judgement about music , along with my judgement on so many other things, goes downhill. But even in my sober moments I do enjoy a bit of a singalong yet I find that these days it's harder and harder to listen to a pop music station without dying a little inside.

I don't want to know about twerking or listen to a 'song' so mindlessly repetitive that I wonder if you are required to take pills to truly appreciate it. The pop machine keeps spitting out new stars faster than I can keep up. We've started to stack up biographies for pretty boy singers that I've be never even heard of. Maybe it's a sign of age but I prefer to think of it as a sign of taste on my part.

What I really need is someone to go to
The trouble of cataloging all the music I already like and would be inclined to like ( through magic ) and when I Turn on
My radio I can hear that and not feel the pressing need to bang my head repeatedly on the dashboard just to make it stop and I hear that sort behaviour is frowned upon when driving 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..