Functional Fitness

I didn't take up Crossfit to get fitter or stronger as such but it's definitely a pleasant side effect. When I started it was because I was bored, over weight and unhappy with how I looked and I thought dropping a dress size or two was the answer. It turns out it wasn't as over the last two years I've realised body image is a lot more complicated than how you look.
It's about your perception of yourself i.e. how you feel about how you look.

But the funny thing is that over time my goals have changed and yes sure I'm not going to say no to abs (if they happen to come my way) or slightly looser jeans but it's no longer my end game. I want to be better, faster, stronger than the me of six months, a year ago and as goals go this one seems far more achievable. Functional fitness for me is not when you realize that you rowed 5k when 3 months ago you could barely row 2 or reaching a max weight when Olympic lifting (yes I will admit to pausing and giving myself a pat on the back when that happens) but it's more than that.

It's when what you learn at the gym starts seeping into your everyday life. Like Last November when I was living with a girl and her dog and got myself locked out in the yard (and the dog locked into the house) just as she had left for work and my phone and my keys were metres away on the other side of a door. I had only gone out to drop a bag in the bin but that's not important. The important thing is hours before I was due at work I found myself locked out in a yard that faced onto a bigger yard which then had a gate as high as the house that faced on to the road and I managed to get over the wall (by climbing onto the bin) and then I climbed the gate that was between me and the street our house faced onto. If that had happened even a few months prior then I would have been rightly stuck because there's no way in hell I'd have been fit enough to do anything but wait for my housemate to get home while shouting for help (it wouldn't have been pretty).

Functional fitness is finding myself striding up a hill with ease and remembering other times not that long ago that it would have left me breathless or carrying my shopping the 15 minute walk from town without having to stop and thinking back to my pre car days (I don't have to that far back) when I need to my wheelie back pack to manage and even then I struggled a little. Or tonight when I parked my car around the corner and carried about 7 bags the few hundred yards between the street where I park my car and where I live, like a boss. It may not seem like much but dammit I still get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..