Where do you find the time?

In work today I was on the front till and I was discussing some of the better new releases with a customer because I'd actually read all of them and then I told her I generally get through 4-5 books a week and she look surprised asking where I found the time to read so much. What I said to her was that I didn't have any kids and yes, sure that's a really big part of it but I think if reading is something you really want to do then you'll make time for it.

People will frequently tell you they don't have time to read or workout or keep up with some creative pursuit or other but the truth is that isn't completely true. It's easier to say you don't have the time and dismiss it as such but chances are you do have some free time to play around with , even if it's not much and you spend it doing other things. Then its not your time that's the problem but your prioritizing.

Take my reading addiction as an example and yes I'll call it an addiction when I am actively putting off doing other things just for a little more quality time with my book and feeling somewhat panicked because I've just started a new book but once I finish it, I have nothing new lined up to read. Anyway, Yes I have no children, no tiny people who need to be fed and entertained, put to bed and cleaned up after and knowing many people who do have small children I do appreciate how much easier it makes it for me to read like I do. Also I live alone so I'm not being rude when I'm wandering around my apartment clutching my book and I'm not in  a relationship so I have a little more free time to kill than most people I know.

But that's only half the story. The truth is I really enjoy reading and the act of losing myself in a really good book and I spend many of my waking hours looking for the next good thing to read so I can return one stack of books and check out another, that's brimming with promise. When you feel this enthusiastic about reading and you're me then you make the extra effort to ensure there's always room in your life for a really good book. I carry whatever I'm reading in my handbag all the time until it's done and I'm ready to move on to the next book.
and then I grab every spare moment to read what I can.

So today I was reading an intriguing book about a young guy who gets the option of going to cooking school instead of juvenile detention and becomes determined to be the best while he's there. The story piqued my interest so this morning as I dried my hair I read a few pages. When I got to work I had five minutes to spare before I was due to start so I read a few more. I didn't get a chance to read on my lunch but then after work I was driving to Clonmel and traffic was really bad so every time I got stuck behind a car I read a few lines (not actually moving the car) and then I arrived at the gym early so I read a bit there. You get the general Idea. Sometimes it's not about having time, its about making time and I am a pretty fast reader so that helps too. I am the one reading at a friends house when she's stepped out of the room for two minutes or waiting to get into work. Every and any opportunity I get until I'm climbing out of one story and straight into another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..