Oh god, did I actually wear that ??

Have you ever looked through old photo's and thought did I actually wear that? I was thinking this evening about how I've finally started dressing a bit more like a grown up and then upon reflection I realized that perhaps short skirts and low cut tops are not the most embarrassing things to have featured in my wardrobe. In my defense I was born in the early eighties so there was no hope for me really and for those of you that remember the nineties wasn't much better. It was not a classy era to grow up in.

When I was 11 I had a shell suit. It was black with a big thick white stripe down the front and the white part had a pattern on it and when you're done laughing at my expense I shall tell you it was awesome. I rocked that shell suit like no other. If you dare to contradict me on this then it is probably because you are very jealous you did not have a shell suit as awesome as mine.  I would add a photo to this blog post to prove my case but sadly all photographic evidence of this has been destroyed in the great incident in my late teens called I am horribly self conscious and must destroy all embarrassing photos. 

Actually I think 11 might have been a bit of a fashion moment for me because I also had a bit of a thing for patterned leggings and I remember the time my Granny bought myself and my sister matching floral ones. I couldn't wait for us both to wear them but sadly, my sister at 13, was far too cool to be caught dead in a matching outfit. I'm sure she probably still kicks herself now for the missed opportunity.

I do also have a set of photos floating about somewhere from the year I turned 17 and a friend and I decided it would be really cool and sophisticated to try on loads of different outfits and take photos of each other posing (cringe). Now before I go to the trouble of describing some of the lovely clothing can I just take a minute to remind you we were young and to be fair if that was all I was getting up to at seventeen (bar some underage drinking) then really I did well. Also this 'photo shoot' predated facebook so we can really say the photos were for ourselves and for fun and there wasn't a duck face to be seen.
Anyway in one of the pictures I'm wearing this black top that's almost completely see through but it has this sparkly spiderweb pattern on the front but if I remember correctly this did little to hide the fact that you could see right through it. I wore this out in public, at night in bars and I am assuming (because I'm old now and I don't quite remember) that I had a good jacket going out because I can't imagine my mother being okay with that as part of any ensemble.
In another one of these pictures I'm wearing this lurid red dress I purchased in this terrible clothes shop that is no more ( probably for the best) but it was skin tight and bright red and made from some horrible stretchy fabric that smelled like cheap but sure I thought I was only gorgeous in it so I bought it anyway. The shop it came from has been replaced with about five more just like it where you getting an overwhelming odor of cheap fabric and regrettable purchases.

It reminds me of when I thought japan was a good place to shop. If you don't remember Japan, it was the go to spot for badly made, cheap clothing and I used to think it was the bomb ( back when that was a phrase people actually used) it's safe to say that with some retrospect I can see I wasn't quite the fashionista I had imagined myself to be and funny now that I really think about it the clothes I wore in my twenties probably weren't the worst of it after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..