How's a girl supposed to bake in these conditions ?

So for those of you that don't know I have developed a liking for baking in recent months. Well I guess I've always had a bit of a liking for it but its only in the last 6 months or so I've learned how to do it without wheat or sugar (coconut sugar doesn't count) and actually produce pretty delicious results and I've been ticking along quite nicely thank you very much. I probably would have kept going indefinitely happy as a clam that enjoys baking but a book I've been waiting (not so patiently) on arrived the other day and It's insisting I tackle my diet head on. Stupid book.

Before you ask I haven't completely taken leave of my senses. I suffer from stomach problems and a few months ago I decided to tackle it head on by trying this diet called a low fod map diet. Fodmap is an acronym for different types of sugars that certain foods contain and it has been shown that for some people, eating foods that are high in these can cause all sorts of discomfort and unpleasant symptoms but this is not a medical blog so I'm not going to bore anyone with the details. The point is I think this would be helpful to me but last time I tried it I found so much conflicting information about what I should and shouldn't be eating that I found myself very confused and hungry. I ended up cutting out some foods that were actually fine and continued to eat some that were not. To save my sanity I ordered a book that would clear all of this up and then found out it wouldn't get published for another three months.

That brings you firmly up to date. So I was feeling much better because now I can do this properly once and for all and after two months I can gradually reintroduce foods to see whats really the problem. All well and good until I start reading the definitive list of high fod map foods and right at the very top is barley flour. For those of you that don't think this is a big deal, firstly you are wrong and secondly, In the last two years I have given up wheat, really cut back on sugar and have just cut lactose out of my diet so I know how to make a sacrifice in the name of my health but I was really enjoying baking cookies and buns and pancakes and guess what the main ingredient was, barley flour. So yes I was fairly gutted that I'll have to do without it for the next two months and depending how my reaction is when I reintroduce it (gulp), maybe forever.

Now if you look online for gluten free recipes they will frequently recommend flours or flour blends that allegedly make delicious baked goods but I am somewhat mistrusting of this information because during a recent barley flour drought I was forced to mix in a bit of a blended flour and noticed my buns had a distinctly rubbery texture (yum) so I'm hoping someone will come to my rescue with a wonder flour that will win barley ( it worked so well I should have known it contained gluten, stupid gluten)  flour's place in my heart and I will bake my way into next year but just in case that doesn't happen I'm having one last stand before the elimination diet begins. Let's hope the fact that I will be really ill afterwards won't take away from all the deliciousness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..