Without sleep I am nothing

You know the way Achilles had that thing with his heal and then there was Samson who was like really really strong until someone cut off his hair. Well I have discovered my thing is sleep and sadly I had no super powers with a decent night sleep unless you care to count my cutting wit ( and really you should), no, just enough sleep leaves me a smart, functioning human being. Obviously as someone who is not an idiot I am already aware of the fact that sleep is good and getting enough sleep is important and I endeavor to do that to the best of my ability but sometimes it's taken out of my hands and I realize that I actually can't cope without my eight hours.

So last night I intended to be in bed asleep by eleven but then life got in the way and it was after one when I was lying in my bed in the dark my mind whirring and a throbbing pain behind my eye. Eventually I fell asleep but less than two hours later I was awake, actually not just awake but the kind of twitchy I've just downed two cans of red bull awake and my headache was really coming into it's own so I went hunting for painkillers which involved turning on all the lights and ensuring the last bit of sleep had left my system. When I eventually found some they contained caffeine grrrr ! so I said I'd hold off taking them incase they kept me awake all night and if I'd known I was going to be awake all night anyway I'm sure I would have had a little chuckle to myself at the irony. In the next four hours I took some herbal tablets and I listen to some relaxing noises and I just lay there in the dark tossing and turning and tossing until I accepted the inevitability of me not sleeping for no apparent reason and flipped on the light. 

So morning dawned and I was still wide awake feeling shattered and nauseous and just kind of zoinked so I realise I can't go to work lest I vomit or pass out or something equally unpleasant So I notify the shop and crawl back into bed to sleep except I don't and the day crawls by increments. I wash and try breakfast and climb half dressed into bed where I stay for the day feeling like someone on really strong painkillers but really it's just no sleep and I assume at some point sleep will come and then I will wake refreshed able to do something with the rest of my day except it doesn't and I feel as though I'm sliding down a slope of sleep deprivation as the day goes on until there no longer seems any point in sleeping. And then It's bedtime again except for the fact that I've hardly left my bed all day and I think tonight I am going to sleep as though it is some sort of gym wod I am doing for time because I now understand why sleep deprivation is a form of torture and I'll be damned if I'm crawling through another day bearing a passing resemblance to an extra off shaun of the dead 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..