The good kind of hurt

Sometimes knowing your behaviour is wrong isn't enough to change it but it sure helps. I am a self professed stress eater who has quit sugar so many times in the last year I am like that one girl everyone knows that keeps going back to her ex even though he treats her like crap. 
I think that's probably why the above quote holds so much appeal for me because I found myself agreeing and yet when I'm upset or stressed out I hear a voice in my head saying shhhh now and have some chocolate. Not that chocolate ever solved anything.

So tonight I was just finishing up my second gym class of the day, not because I am a nutter but because I only have one day off during the week and I was trying to cram all the training I could physically muster in, and I was sore, my legs were wobbling and I was dripping with sweat. Like literally dripping, it was quite beautiful (okay, so it was disgusting but that's hardly the point) and I'd just rowed 5k but I felt really damn good. I was relaxed and happy and probably a bit stinky but hey you can't have it all. 

The thing is every time I finish a really good class I feel the same way. I feel lighter and happier and like I left all my worries in the gym. When I get stressed I do occasionally have the presence of mind to remember that even though my brain is screaming out for more chocolate than I can comfortably eat that actually a workout would do a much better job. But sometimes I get pretty low and that's when I'm likely to slip and let my emotions make my food decisions because even though a logical part of me knows even 10 minutes of crossfit at home would put happier me back in charge, the willingness to do anything at all tends to leave me.

Today I am so sore but it's the good kind of sore because it's not an oh I wish I hadn't gone drinking or because I've eaten all the wrong things but because I trained my ass off and will hopefully start to see the results soon. My muscles are so sore that I actually winced while whisking an egg and the calluses on my hands have left them so tender that holding a vegetable peeler was challenging but the pain will go pretty soon I hope and maybe next time life knocks me down I'll turn to burpees instead of chocolate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..