How to lose the most expensive thing you own

I think it's a pretty interesting way of pin pointing my success at this moment in my life my most expensive possession was my iphone 5 and I lost it. It's worth more than my laptop and more than my car (which says a lot more about my car than my phone but it does the job of getting me from a to b without breaking down so I won't be complaining ). I'm not in a high paid job so I acquired my iphone the usual way, I signed a 2 year contract and paid a mere €99 euros and hey presto I had a lighter, faster and shinier new phone but the problem is when you don't pay the full price on a piece of equipment like that you don't tend to actually appreciate how expensive it is and treat it accordingly.

As I've been saying to people numerous times in the week since I last saw my phone, it's worth more than my laptop but I wouldn't be half as careless with that. All being said I have still managed to drop my laptop several times and melt the top of it just a little ( with an ill placed lamp, in case you were wondering) So perhaps the lesson here is I need to be a little more careful with my belongings. It's not like I'm in a position to replace my laptop if it actually dies on me.

But more importantly let's get back to the matter of my iphone, Is it wrong that I feel a bit sad every time I think about the fact that I actually lost it and bit more sad when I think about the fact that I'm in contract until March 2015 and oh yes I don't have insurance. Because I couldn't afford it that's why. For those of you that don't know what happened is I was out last Sunday for the Spraoi weekend. I had been to a lot of the festival but for some silly reason decided that on Sunday night I would drink. a decision I'm still regretting. So not enough food and a few drinks later I'm out dancing and one minute I have my phone and the next thing I know I have no idea where it is, admittedly because of the alcohol that part is hazy. I must have dropped it but when I had someone ring it no one answered and that was it for me and that phone.

The following day I tried ringing it and emailed the bar I was in just in case (because God loves a trier) yet sadly my optimism was wasted because in reality when someone finds an expensive phone they don't hand it in but instead they pocket it gleefully leaving me to contend with my crappy, older, almost defunct Iphone 3gs for another year and a half. 
The bar got back to me to say no iphone was handed and chances are no iphones are ever handed in but then gave me a lot more advice than my mobile network on how to lock it and possibly track it. 

And in the middle of all this I realize the phone I had been tracking on find my phone was actually my old handset so it seems altogether less suspicious that I've been able to track it to the street where I live and I'm kind of embarrassed that I went to the guards with this information. What can I say, I was hungover and I think we all know hungover Laura wont be winning any table quizzes. Anyway when I finally checked all devices I spotted my iphone 5 but according to my Icloud account someone called Adam was logged in and I promptly locked the phone and sent a message to it, it usually says this phone is lost and a contact number but I went with WTF adam, give me back my phone. At the very least I thought he might get freaked out but I've no way of knowing if he ever saw it and I've finally given up the hope that he will do the decent thing and actually return the phone. Jeez Adam, way to be a dick. 

I did however manage to get it blacklisted which means he won't be able to use it as a phone, ever and that did give me a small amount of satisfaction like when you would break a toy you didn't want to share as a very small child because if you couldn't have it no one can. 
So I will try not be bitter as I do everything I used on a far inferior phone and will just take this as the most expensive lesson I have ever learned about being a bit smarter when I go out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..