Something for the weekend

This weekend was my most anticipated long weekend. Every few weeks I get a whole three days off work together and I often get excited at the prospect. Mind you I might have wasted some opportunities to lie in but I'm probably better off for it. Usually my plans for the long weekend are fairly unexciting I come home on a Saturday and do a class and then spend the rest of the day and all day Sunday lounging and reading and then Monday I do two more classes before returning to Waterford. It is probably not the best use of my time if I am to be entirely honest.

This weekend was different though. I was better prepared and made plans to go stay in my parents holiday house in Wexford.  It's out on hook head just outside Fethard on sea surrounded by several other identical looking houses but it was going to be good to be somewhere different for a weekend. I didn't have a key but I had already commited to a crossfit class on Saturday morning so it seemed an ideal way to combine both even though by the time Friday night had come round I had already talked myself out of working out because I was tired and feeling lazy. Much as I would have relished the opportunity to stay in bed Saturday morning I wouldn't be going anywhere without the key for the house so I dragged myself out of bed and into my gym gear. Thinking I was being very clever I threw a change of clothes and my protein shake into the same bag. I didn't want to go around town all sweaty in my gym stuff but foolishly I didn't screw the cap on properly and so arrived in Clonmel to discover I no longer had a protein shake but I did have bag full of soggy protein covered clothes. 

Fortunately that was the only disaster of the day and I survived the class, got the key and was on my way back to Waterford by 12.00. It was slightly later than planned but I already knew my company for the weekend (the boyfriend) was severely hungover and possibly not actually out of bed at that stage so I wasn't feeling overly pressed to rush. I got everything packed up and collected the hungover man and with one quick pit-stop for noms we were on our way to the sunny south east. I know Waterford is supposed to be part of this 'sunny' south east too but that's clearly a mistake because we left the city on a grey, miserable day and drove towards the car ferry in passage east where it was already bright and sunny. 
We got to the house in fairly decent time and I didn't get lost per-Se but may not have driven there the fastest way. I don't know why I have such a horrible sense of direction, I just do but I will happily admit I did a much better job of finding the house than my last trip down there.

When we arrived we threw all our stuff in the house and took a walk down to the beach which lovely until we got much too cold. I do like being beside the sea in winter but when I reach the point where I can no longer feel my face I prefer a sea view. So we retreated to go unpack and warm up the house. It wasn't long before everything was unpacked and the place was all cosy. The big plan was to just take it easy for the two days. I am always rushing around and doing so much on a day off so it made a nice change but our evenings entertainment was somewhat spoiled when we realised the laptop we had with us wasn't recognizing my memory stick which had a whole load of movies and tv shows on it. The house was equipped with a tv and free to air box but the choices of what to watch were pretty dire. We still had a nice evening all cosy by the fire all the same. Until I started to doze off mid way through the movie we were supposed to be watching. 

I was asleep within minutes of falling into bed at an embarrassingly early time and was awake and alert by 8.30 feeling like I'd had a lie in. I didn't want to wake himself so I propped myself up to read and feeling very clever said I wouldn't turn on the electric blanket for a few minutes, just to make the bed all cosy like. I am perisher which is something I will readily admit to but my boyfriend however does not feel the cold as easily and found it quite alarming to be woken up by a bed steadily getting warmer. It seems that is not a nice way to wake and I shall bear that in mind for future notice because I'm sound like that. After a blissful morning of reading I finished my book and found myself bored so I woke up the boyfriend to have someone to talk to. I should have brought a second book and he might have gotten a proper lie in. I can only hope to learn from my mistakes.

We had a nice lazy day of not doing much of anything but I did manage to fit in a walk before we got the ferry back to reality. It was nice and it wasn't just so I could appease my parents who are like the laziness police and will ask how was the weekend, what was the weather like? and did you go for any nice walks. It was a change to do something for the weekend but I think I might be waiting for slightly warmer weather for the next one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..