The benefits of healthy eating

As someone who is back eating healthy for all of a day and a bit (the first half of yesterday was not my biggest success), I feel well equipped on how to advise others to do the same. Okay well maybe I don't but you're going to hear what I like about it all the same. 
Obviously I like bad food because its forbidden and often delicious. That's all well and good but sadly the fact that most of it is very fattening is actually the least of my worries. All of the things I really want but can't have also make me feel really ill but yes I still struggle to kick it out of my diet because that's the sort of crazy fool I am. 

Yesterday, after regretfully purchasing and consuming a coconut slice ( a healthfood store confectionary item made from vast amounts of agave syrup, raw cocoa, desiccated coconut and coconut oil) and oh boy did I suffer for it later so I did some dietary penance by going home and making a weeks worth of soup. No more making salads every evening before work for me (like some sort of fool). Not only did I feel good about myself for making something healthy (let's face it the mental pat on the back you're allowed to give yourself is half the reason you do it in the first place) but it was actually pretty delicious. Yay. So here's the recipe if you fancy giving it a shot yourself.

Vegetable soup _ Laura style
You'll need.....
1/2 onion chopped finely
3 carrots (cubed)
1 parsnip cubed
1 butternut squash cubed
coriander and spinach - shredded or chopped (I added a small few leaves of both)
bouillon vegetable stock
red lentils 
1 teaspoon coconut oil

Melt coconut oil in large saucepan and then add onions on a medium heat and allow to simmer.
Add all other chopped veg and stir for 5 mins or so.
add handful red lentils
stir 3 tsps into 2 litres boiling water and add to saucepan
Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 40 minutes or until the veg has softened.
Blend and nom your heart out. You will have enough soup to feed small country/large family/one woman for a week. Then sit back and feel pretty damn good about yourself. 

Hopefully the healthy buzz will last past the bragging that I've cleaned up my diet. To be fair to myself I did manage it before and I think between the new soup recipe and my most amazing discovery yet, the bfree brown gluten free rolls that somehow magically taste like bread instead of the usual gluten free muck which looks sad and dry and bit like you could keep in your handbag as a weapon in lieu of a brick. 
But as always I will keep you posted and if I discover any more deliciousness I'll be sure to share it here 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..