Trying to make tourist a verb


This summer for the first time in about 5 or 6 years ( well its been long enough that I can't precisely remember, which says a lot) I will be going on holidays and I am very very excited about the prospect . I know I've mentioned it before but in the three years since I left Edinburgh, my friends over there have been trying to entice me  back for a visit. It's not that I didn't want to go back, I did but lack of money or at least my perception of how much it was going to cost me kept putting me off. Then in a manner quite unlike me I spontaneously checked the cost of flights to Edinburgh on a random weekend in July and as it happens they were a lot cheaper than I had been expecting. So in a move that felt a bit like tempting fate I invited my boyfriend to join me. Yikes, that's like 6 months away so I guess I'm now banking us still being together then. Not that I'm not hoping for that anyway. 

anyway I've booked the super cheap flights and were staying in budget backpackers hostel. I'm not really pushed about luxury accommodation given that we'll only really be sleeping there but as hostels go its pretty nice. I spent a week there when I'd moved to Edinburgh and it was pleasant, central, clean and safe. Sure what more could you want. Oh and did I mention its really cheap.

Now the important stuff is sorted I can relax and look forward to my few days away. It will also be my chance to make amends for my woeful stay there three years ago. I was broker than a broke thing for those four months and I somehow ended up not experiencing any of the city. I am already well equipped with a travel guide and several websites to check out but I will probably stop short of bringing a laminated itinerary With me.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little forward planning. already I have mentally bookmarked several things I really want to do with my stay even though realistically I know over the four days I probably won't get to do them all. No harm in trying to make the most of it. 
I really want to do the literary pub tour even though I'm not quite sure what it involves and I've only gotten a third of the way through my guide book. There's still a whole 6 months to go before the trip which leaves me With plenty of time to anticipate and plan. Edinburgh better watch out. I'm going to get my tourist on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..