A few home truths

Being in a relationship is really hard. Now I don't mean the relationship itself because that seems to be going well so far. I'm happy, he's happy so lets not interfere with that dynamic. And trust me if it was the relationship itself I was unhappy with I would know better than to air such grievances on a blog that my boyfriend occasionally reads. I'm pretty smart like that.
No, the bit I am finding hard is the sheer effort that goes into making myself an attractive human being all the damn time. Hair to be fixed and make up touched up and changing into more attractive clothes before leaving the house. Things to trimmed and things to be shaved and flattering underwear to be selected. It's all quite a lot of work. Admittedly I am only gripping about this now because I have been having a particularly bad week. It's my time of the month, I think we'll agree that's a euphemism that were all comfortable with.  I wholeheartedly believe that always ( women's sanitary product  manufacturer) must have been off their heads when they came up with the slogan have a happy period because no such thing exists . Clearly a man was responsible for this. Having spent half my life thus far enduring this monthly discomfort I can vouch for the fact that there are no happy ones but some are less arduous than others. Let us be clear on one thing, this has not been one of the better ones. This has been a very bad one indeed. All week I have been feel wretched and it's been a genuine struggle to not take to my bed with a hot water bottle until this damn thing is finished. I picked a very bad time to be off chocolate. 

But even with all of this going on, I have spent most of my day moping around feeling like a ginormous beast of a thing, all bloaty and bleugh and then in the evenings I pull myself together and put on something that is not my pyjamas ( that bit has been a struggle) and head over to my boyfriend's place while I do my best impression of an attractive human being. Mostly because as much as I wanted to comfy and just wallow in the misery of this particular week I didn't want to go without seeing him until I was a regular person again and I am not comfortable with the idea of reaching a stage in a relationship where you announce that it's all comfy clothes, granny panties and unshaved legs from here on in except for special occasions. It might be a little silly but I believe that so long as you're not living with someone then there's no need to stop making a bit of an effort when you see them. After all I can have all the fat, bloaty, lying on the couch in my pyjamas having a one woman pity party days on the ones where I don't happen to be seeing him. Maybe that's a little naive of me but at the end of the day this is only one woman's opinion. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..