I am too old for this shit

Apparently this is a sign I'm getting old because I find teenagers incredibly annoying but I don't think that's the case because I distinctly remember feeling this way about them the very moment I stopped being one myself. Yes exactly on my twentieth birthday I sighed and said I surely wasn't half as annoying when I was teenager. Yes, I really was that world weary. If I am being completely honest (and it's my blog so I probably should) I'm fairly certain that I was just as annoying as teenagers today but I wasn't a complete idiot and now that I am working in a bookshop, specifically the section where teenagers get all their books or come to sprawl on our floor, I find myself accidentally eavesdropping and the snippets I hear do not bode well if these young people are to be our future.

Today while attempting to soak up some sun on my lunch break I sat on the only bench outside that didn't have eight people sitting there or wasn't overrun with bird traffic (you know lots of pigeons going back and forth) but unfortunately that left me sitting in a place where I was easily able to overhear not one but two separate teenage conversations that were so stupid I'm almost certain that I actually became dumber just listening to them. Between an argument over why one girl believed sponge bob square pants was made of cheese (he's called sponge bob!!!) and another about how funny it would be to go into the body building shop and pretend you wanted to bulk up like a female body builder just to see what they would say (according to one of the teenage girls they would probably rape you, yes I'm sure that's the common response to teenage stupidity). I eventually had to take myself back inside before I became too stupid to do my job or actually joined in on a conversation I wasn't part of ( No one wants to be that girl) 

I don't this is really part of getting older because the truth is I wasn't annoyed because they were teenagers, it was because they were particularly stupid teenagers. (admittedly teenagers hanging around the shop being all slouchy and teenage do annoy me too so there might be a little bit of that going on.) now I don't know if it's just that they are still working on the filter that prevents you from speaking aloud every thing that comes into your head no matter how strange or ridiculous it sounds. I know a few small kids who would happily keep you informed in great detail the contents of their minds at any given moment but I always thought that was something you grew out of a little earlier than adulthood. If I'm getting too old to recall my teens well enough to be sure then I really must be old. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..