You know it's summer in Ireland when



Increasingly it's becoming harder to tell
When our summer has actually started seeing as it would seem our weather is drunk which is frankly the only plausible explanation for the near freezing temperatures we endured for most if may. That being said it seems to have brightened up and we've had a bit of sun . A whole two days and I know this is a fact because I saw a guy wearing no shirt in town today. It's official it's summer and here's some other signs to watch out for. 

you'll know the summer has come when you spot people out in public in summer clothes regardless of whether or not we have the weather to warrant these fashion choices. It's like they said fuck it, I bought a pair of shorts and il be damned if I'm not going to wear them every opportunity I get. 

Speaking of, Irish summer is the time when inappropriate dressing hits an all time high. During my college years I was guilty of not dressing for the weather when I went out in town. pride kept me warm so it was all good but summertime brings something else out in people. I'm already starting to spot men around town 
Who seem to have mislaid their shirts and find myself thinking two things. Firstly, It's not really that hot out and secondly, isn't a shame that this pride in their appearance ( to the point where they feel comfortable parading around in public half dressed) does not go hand in hand with actually being in shape.
and then there's some women who see summer as opportunity to ignore the actual size label on clothing and beat themselves into sun dresses, shorts and belly tops that have flesh virtually spilling out of them( fortunately many women know how to dress themselves correctly. Unfortunately not enough of those women live in Waterford )

Even though we are likely to get the sort of weather you'd willingly sunbathe in. Already there are women appearing in various shades of tan, biscuit and orange all courtesy of a short break in costa del tanning salon or from a bottle. Many women now have learned to love the tanning mitt but you can still find tell take signs in the faint odour of biscuit and telltale streaky knees and ankles.

There will be children everywhere, running around gleefully as though they have just escaped prison and not in fact just gotten their summer holidays and you will see many of their older, moodier teenage counter parts mooching around and looking suitably teenage. 

And if we get the few days of sun we are all hoping for you will soon see the common sunburnt man. Lobster red in the face and arms but still proudly bragging about how he is too Macho for the likes of sunscreen.

And of course the swarms of Spanish students, almost as much a part of Irish summer as the good old 99' ice cream cone. They will take over streets loudly babbling in Spanish and make you wonder if they actually learn a word of English on these trips.

Many will take to the beer gardens because summer or at least the illusion of 
Sunshine provides the perfect back drop for getting pissed in the middle of the afternoon.

Meanwhile I won't be getting away from all this. I'll hiding out in the children's section at work in the bookshop. Trying to navigate my way around boisterous kids and moody teenagers and 200 Spanish exchange students on a scavenger hunt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..